Arthritis Expert Forum
Torn Ligament in Shoulder

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Torn Ligament in Shoulder

Hi, I am posting this because I am concerned about my 20 yr. old son.  Tim has had shoulder pain for two years.  It radiates to his neck.  He is a college student who works out at a gym, with a trainer, regularly.  The trainer helps him and doesn't let him lift too much weight if it hurts.  He also had an x-ray from a regular doctor and went to physical therapy, which helped a little, but it came back as soon as he stopped.

When Tim  was home for Christmas, I took him to an orthopedic doctor and insisted on answer.  He got an MRI, which showed a torn ligament.  He was given blood tests to check for arthritis, which was negative.  For some reason, the doctor isn't too concerned.  He gave him muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories and told my son not to lift heavy weight and not to do certain things when working out.  We asked about surgery, and the doctor said that would be the last resort.  He said he could try physical therapy again, but there is no place near his school that is on our insurance, and he doesn't have a car for traveling, nor the time.

I spoke to Tim yesterday and he is still in considerable pain and very frustrated.  He's young and I feel this is ridiculous that a young man has to suffer like this.  Any advice on what to do?  Should be try another doctor?  Wait and see what happens?  Do torn ligaments heal themselves, or does he need surgery?  Thank you.
Try another orthopedist or sports medicine specialist

Ask for physical therapy to strengthen the muscles surrounding the torn ligament

torn ligaments don't heal, you need to support the muscles surrounding it
1 Comment
A related discussion, Torn Ligaments was started.
A related discussion, dislocated shoulder torn ligaments,surgery was started.