Arthritis Community
What are my options?

What are my options?

A few years ago, at age 40, i became ill with a severe case of postpartum Septicemia, the bacteria got into my  heart with the ensuing endocarditis and valve repair surgery, and into the joints paralyzing my entire body for a few weeks. The infection started in the Sacro Iliac bone and although it has fused significantly since, it has not completed fusion. The joints in my body are very painful as is the SI joint. I take Duragesic and other medication for push through pain. My questions are the following: is there an arthritis medication that will not affect my immune system? How can I improve mobility in my joints and body? What are the consequences of using Duragesic for more than 10, 20, 30 years? Do you know of any support groups with members in similar situation? Thank you for your advice.
I don't have an answer to you question on Duragesic, but wanted to welcome you to this community! There are many here and I'm sure someone will post an answer for you soon!
I myself have OA of the low back and have found alternating cold and heat to help with the pain. As for improving mobility - have you consulted with a physical therapist? They can often offer safe excersises based off your personal history and mobility.
D.