What cause elevated ESR and ANA, but negative RF?
I am a Type 1 Diabetic for 18 years, have joint pain and left index finger crooked, doctor ordered lab test, ESR 55, ANA 1:160, but RF negative, sending me to rheumatology, could I have RA, because my sister has JRA or do I have lupus.
You can test positive for RA factor and not have it and test negative and have it.  Go to the Arthritis Foundations web site, it is a great source of info.  I know I sound like a broken  record but there are over 100 kinds of arthritis.  I had a sed rate of 110 and was tested for everything including Lupus, took a few months but I was finally dx with Ankoylosing Spondylitis. I also tested positive for the HLA B27 gene.  Best of luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Sue
Plus only 20% of those that test positive with HLA-B27 actually gets AS.
True true!!   Thanks Nancy, time for sleep now.  Check in with all tomorrow, hope you all get a good nights sleep.

Sue