Arthritis Community
What info can you give me??

What info can you give me??

My son is 9 years old. He has severe left hip pain the totally puts him out. He is unable to walk at times and the pain is so severe. His SED rate is 60 right now. We just had an MRI done that was negative for arthritis but did show cystic lesions and 1" in diameter. We are being refferred to a rhuemotologist to figure out what is going on. Two years ago he was hospitalized for the same hip pain in the same hip. At that point his SED rate was in the 70's. Cat Scan revealed transient synovitis. Treated with Ibprofuren to a week for the poor child to walk again. This is when it all began though for him and since then he has had reuccurring episodes and dr.s can't figure out why. Does anyone know of a similar case or know what could be going on? We same the RA dr. next week but this momma needs answers now
Tags: Arthritis, child, SED Rate Elevated, CYSTIC LESIONS
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. As the inflammation of the hip is recurrent with an increased sedimentation rate it could be due to rheumatoid arthritis or spondyloarthritis. It could also be due to tuberculous arthritis. Infections like tuberculosis can cause an evening rise of temperature and increased sweating. This also causes a loss of appetite; as such this is accompanied by weight loss. So, record his temperatures, on a two hourly basis to detect an evening rise of temperature.  Please check with your doctor to rule out this condition.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.