Arthritis Community
What is going on with me?

What is going on with me?

At 6 or 7 I was diagnosed with IBS.  In my early 20's I was diagnosed with Herpes (which I am unsure of) and I had a severe out break of oral canker sores that covered the inside of my mouth.  Late 20's I was diagnosed with Iritis in one eye (which eventually developed into both eyes, and was HLA-B27 positive.  I have also had anxiety/depression problems my entire adult life.  The iritis would go through periods of many flare ups close together, and then would settle to maybe once a year, and back again.  In my 30's I started experiencing hand pain.  It was in all my finger joints, and my hands would feel very hot, this usually intensified as the day wore on.  I was also diagnosed with Asthma and Thyroid during this time period.  When I asked my eye specialist about an underlying disease that would cover all these problems, I was told it was not important as what ever it was it was incurable.  So I trudged on.  WOnto my 40's.  I would go through periods of fatigue, and started to have specific joint pains.  I was told that I have tendonitis in my elbow (2003), but it has never settled down and now I have nodules in my elbow, and can not sleep on that side, nor rest my arm on anything, sometimes just touching fabric will send a shrill pain through my elbow and lower arm.  I have also noticed that I will get numbness in my two outside fingers if I crochet, or paddle in my boat for very long.  I also had neck surgery in 2003-2005, due to a car wreck.  At that time I was told that my neck looked like that of a 70 year old woman (arthritis) and that I would never be able to have complete relief.  I had two levels fused, and due to complications, ended up with 3 major surgeries.  Also to note I was born with birth defects, like a hip out of place, weird bone structure in my feet, abnormalities in my back etc..During my 30's and again in my forties, I developed a dermoid cyst on my ovary,  The first time they were able to remove it, but the second time I lost and ovary.  Other diagnosis in my 40's:  Cysts on my kidneys, high blood pressure and fibroids.  I have a lot of brain fog days, and now I have days where I will get up and feel like all my major joints and muscles are being attacked.  Some days I can hardly walk up the stairs, as I feel pain (and muscle exhaustion at the top of my legs and hips.  Last trip to the family doctor he said he believes I have bursitis in my hip.  I am totally worn out.  We from the US to Canada at the end of 2006, as my husband was raised in Canada (and had been previously diagnosed with MS) health was deterorating and he could not get health insurance in the states.  He is confined to a wheelchair and is no longer able to stand.  We adopted a child from Ukraine in 2003 who has been diagnosed with Insecure Attachment, Sensory problems and anxiety.  I am still awating my immigration so I do not have access to Canadian health insurance.  My family doctor in Canada would like to do a MRI but I can not afford that at this time.  Do you have any idea what I might be suffering from?  Or am I loosing my mind?  Thank you
I'm so sorry you're having so many problems. You are NOT losing your mind.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I can tell you that iritis goes hand in hand with RA. As with any auto-immune disorder (which it sounds to me like you're having), no one size fits all in terms of symptoms or treatment. I'm NOT a doctor, but I think you should be tested for RA or possibly lupus. RA affects primarily joints; lupus, the internal organs. Also ask about fibromyalgia, which could explain the brain fog and general muscle soreness. The thing about fibro, though, is that there's no specific test for it - it's really a syndrome, a collection of symptoms with no explanation other than your nervous system is over-reactive.

Anxiety and depression are a natural result of feeling like crap all the time. A therapist can help you, don't be ashamed to seek one out. If you need anti-depressants to get you through until you get a diagnosis pinned down.

Hang in there!
I agree with carolanivey.  I am a Canadian.  I question why you can't get coverage here after all that time.  That doesn't seem right.  What province do you live in?  You really need to see a rheumatologist and do look at being treated for depression.
I am on meds for depression and that does help, though last year I had a hard time for some reason, maybe the gloomy weather.  But I seemed to have gotten that straight with new med and 2,000mg of vitamin D.  I'm in Ontario, and until my immigration goes through, I'm just a lost individual.  Immigration doesn't seem to care that If I wasn't hear they would have to put my husband into a nursing home and then he would not be able to work.  In fact they have come back twice stating that they didn't believe he was living here.  (All because he has a US Co. and has a US Voip phone number).  So twice we have had to collect a ton of letters from every one that has worked with our family proving that he was and is here.  Last batch went in early December.  Now I'm afraid that all of the Haiti refugees will slow things down even more.  All I can do is wait, we even have the local MP involved and they can't get much done either.
Can your MPP for Ontario help you on the healthcare situation since OHIP is a provincial matter?