Arthritis Expert Forum
What other options do I have?

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

What other options do I have?

I am 34F,smoker,non drinker.Back in 98 I was unable to walk due to my lower back feeling like it was broke. Xrays were fine, went to physical therapy and was ok for a while. Summer of 2003 I was taken out of work in an ambulance, I sat down and was unable to stand or walk and even sit. My dr finally ordered an MRI and he told me I had arthritis in my neck and degenarative bone disease in my spine.  About 5 months before my back went out again, my legs hurt and ached when I would lay down for bed, not even elevation would ease them. I am guessing that was a sign my back was going out again. Now I have sever pain in my left hip, I have numbness from feet to neck, they also tingle and burn.No matter how I sit or lay, my arms and legs and hips get numb, and they ache.  Now I am experiencing twitching in my body, always had little spots but nothing like this. my legs twitch and wake me up, sometimes my whole body will twitch and wake me up. these past 3 weeks I have been unable to sleep. I will sleep for short periods of time and wake up feeling refreshed, then I have to go to work and I am tired all day.  I am on Synthroid for underactive thyroid and the dose is correct, that gets checked every couple of months.There are times I wake up feeling like I am drunk and have a headache like a hangover and I don't drink.  I take Motrin for the pain, 2-3 times every other day. I was on Bextra and that helped for about a week and quit.  I also take Prilosec 20mg a day, was on Nexium but got tired of going for test after test for 6 months to find nothing but acid reflux so I just take it over the counter. I do look like I have been pregnant for over 2 years, have sever pain in the diaphram area, had that since I was about 4 yrs old. I also have been experiencing my heart stopping and chest getting tight, It speeds up then slows and stops then starts again,had EKG in dr.s office, they said it was fine I was having muscle spasms and this has been going on for about 2 yrs. I went to gastro doctor because of the chest tightness, I thought the esophgus was having spasms due to acid reflux, and finally paid attention to the chest getting tight and my pulse and that is when I noticed it was stopping. I was born 3 months premature no complications. My question is, could my premature birth have health problems now as an adult and what neurological affects it has, and MS has been ruled out as well. Also,for about 6 ms, my feet hurt like I was dancing in heals all night with leg pain in the calfs. told my doc about my feet, my heart, my premature birth, muscles feel they are just tired and I have no strength in my arms to do much, and it has been ignored. What is my next step? I walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes around the building complex at work. The most comfortable postion for me to sit in is indian style. If I just put up one leg it goes numb within seconds.
You have listed many symptoms and there might not be a unifying diagnosis.  Regarding the neurological symptoms such as weakness and numbness, a neurology consult would be helpful.  In addition to the MRI, various tests such as electrodiagnostic testing can be considered for evaluation of neuropathy.  

Regarding the heart symptoms, an event monitor can be considered to record any palpitations.  This can evaluate for possible arrythmias that can lead to your symptoms.  You may also want to consider an echocardiogram to evaluate the heart structure.  A cardiologist can be considered for further evaluation.

If the Prilsec and Nexium isn't controlling your gastric reflux symptoms, a 24-hr pH study can be considered to give a more definitive diagnosis.  If reflux continues despite medication, then surgical options should be considered.

It is possible that being born premature may lead you to be at higher risk for some symptoms, but I am not aware of a specific disease that can be explaining this.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Just my thoughts.......... you've been to at least one  physician and had tests done and have tried numerous medications with no relief.  I don't think general medicine will be able to help you.  You sound like you have developed chronic problems.  I understand that you feel bad and want to get better.  I just think you may be looking in the wrong places.  As a whole person you are "falling apart" piece by piece.  General medicine will look at these pieces and try to fix each one.  I think you need a wholistic physician to look at you.  To treat this way requires a great deal of participation from you but it works.  May God help you find someone to help you get to the bottom of all these symptoms and to take care of it.  Don't give up.
just curious,have you been tested for any vitamin and mineral deficiency??????
All these things you share could fit the pattern of harm of one chemical. I believe it is the chemical that causes CFS, CFIDS,'gulf war syndrome'

It is 2-butoxyethanol.  It has a lot of other names www.valdezlink.com/same.htm  It is in a lot of products.

So, check out what your blood is saying.
www.valdezlink.com/check_blood.htm#retic
www.valdezlink.com/why_fatigue.htm  

And is your immune system autoimmune?  www.valdezlink.com/generic.htm#8  You will note rapid heart beat is 'on the list of autoimmune hemolytic anemia.

I haven't heard of any doctor who is looking in this direction; but I hope someday soon they will.  The are tricked into thinking the CBC is OK when it isn't.  Red blood cells are immature with direct exposure to this chemical ... flu like symptoms somewhere would be part of the picture for a direct exposure.

Now, this chemical is also a teratogen.  So, if a parent or grandparent had a strong exposure, it could cause some of these ailments as singlular 'birth defects'  And then maybe the 'biomarker' of the fatigue wouldn't be there.

I personally believe that many in this group would be premature.  Many have other things like hemangiomas, ALD (from a mom who was exposed), neuroblastoma, etc, etc  Lots of birth defects and various cancers can be part of this chemical's pattern.

SO avoid exposure to this chemical at all costs.  It is a poison, a pesticide, a solvent, an endocrine disruptor chemical, a neurotoxin ...

It is in many household products, paint, etc.

Some ways to recognize the fatigue
http://home.gci.net/~blessing/pages/thefatigue.htm