Arthritis Community
ankylosing spondylitis help

ankylosing spondylitis help

Hello, I am a 35 yr old female and just been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, I have had non stop problems,pain and inflamation (inflammation) for 1yr and  months now I been from one Doc to another trying to figure out my case and now I have a diagnose. In the beginning I was diagnosed with adrenal insuff. so I was put on Cortef (steroid), every since I been on the steroid I have been in severe pain everyday and swelling in my throat and neck, my lower back and pain down my right leg affecting my ankle joint, now I have been put on Enbrel injections and just strated Friday, I have had a sore throat every since. Now my questions, is the throat issues normal with this disease? Does Enbrel cause a sore throat problem? And what will be my out come with this med and isnt it contradicting taking Steroid and Enbrel? Is there any harm in using both? I am just so confused also I have not been test for the B27 factor but it does say something enviromental could set this off, I have had these problems every since I moved into this new home and later realized I was being exposed to insulation in my basement that was never covered and no furnace filter for the first 2 months, what is the chance of this being the cause? HELP PLEASE
-7 Comments Post a Comment
I am not on enbrel and do not recall reading anything about sore throats form those at the forums at spondylitis.org.  Is your throat dry?  Your eyes or mouth?  That can be sjorgrens syndrome.  
It is possible to have AS and not test positive for HLA B27.  I know because I am negative and I have AS along with a host of other autoimmune fun - ha!
It's possible that the environmental factors led to the sore throat and your meds may be making it harder to recover from it.  Have you talked to your doctor about your sore throat?
I have told hime about the swelling in the front and back of neck, but this is like a regular sore throat now since i done the injection just hope it isnt a active infection. So was your AS severe? Havent read about sjorgens.