Arthritis Expert Forum
arthritis vs. carpel tunnel syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

arthritis vs. carpel tunnel syndrome
My husband was diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome.  His bloodwork results showed elevated levels for arthritis.  Is it possible for CTS to mimic the symptoms of arthritis?  Is it possible to have both?  This is a bit confusing to my husband and I because his x-rays showed no signs of arthritis.  His EMG results were also of concern because the Dr. who administered the test said how unusual it was for his age (31) to have 75% nerve damage.  The hand specialist we saw recommended we see a rheumotlogist due to the results of the bloodwork. The hand specialist recommended surgery to treat the CTS.  
Hello!

In carpal tunnel syndrome median nerve, a nerve in the hand is compressed at the wrist, leading to nerve tingling numbness and muscle weakness in the hand.
Arthritis is inflammation of the joint and is completely different from carpal tunnel syndrome.
Both of them can co-exist.
He can always go for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome which may include splinting or bracing, steroid injection, activity modification, physical or occupational therapy, medications, and if everything fails surgical release of the transverse carpal ligament, a ligament in the hand.

For arthritis he needs proper diagnosis and following up and for this it is a good idea to consult a Rheumatologist.

Take care!