Arthritis Community
can i do anything about it?

can i do anything about it?

hi im 19 and just found out i have arthritis in my jaw i an chew steak it cracks when i chew everything even bread sometimes it locks up then cracks out and  it really hurts the other night i woke up with back pains and my wrists were sore and stiff and same with my knees, my ankles are always sore and my neck thy get worse in colder months , is it possible that i have arthritis in all my joints i did gymnastics as a kids and been riding horses all my life . If it is all arthritis is there anythig but pain killers and heat packs??
Hi shorty,

It's possible to get rheumatoid arthritis at literally any age. Have you seen a rheumatologist? This is a specialist who focuses on autoimmune disorders like RA. With your athletic background there could be some osteoarthritis going on, as well. It's hard to tell until you've seen a rheumie, who will run a number of blood tests and probably do some xrays to have a look at what's going on.

There are lots of treatments available for both RA and OA - medication (not just pain killers), physical therapy, occupational therapy (to teach you how to move correctly to prevent further joint aggravation), pain management, and surgery. Surgery doesn't have to be major, sometimes a simple procedure can bring significant pain relief, so don't be afraid to consider it.

Please get a referral to a rheumatologist as soon as possible. If it is indeed RA, the longer you wait, the worse the joint damage will be. Good luck!
Yes, it is likely that you have arthritis in all your joints.

What you need to do is make an appointment to see your doctor, so that he can do blood tests to find out if this is rheumatoid arthritis.  Xrays would show degenerative changes to the joints to confirm osteoarthritis.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder and affects internal organs.  
Osteoarthritis is degeneration of the joints and shrinkage of the curtilage in between the joints.

Both forms of arthritis have same symptoms of pain and stiffness.

You can get wrist supports, or splints to support the wrists.  If you do any repetitive work, this will aggravate your wrists and hands.  Sitting at the computer for too long is also not a good idea, because this will cause neck problems and wrist problems if you are using the keyboard a lot.

Wear a scarf around your neck to keep it warm and keep away from any draughts.

The doctor can refer you for physiotherapy.  Swimming is a good way of keeping to keep your muscles toned.

The physiotherapist will give you specific exercises to do for your different joint problems and will also recommend shoe inserts to support your ankles and advice on appropriate footwear.

Your dentist may help you with regard to your jaw problem.

Best wishes.