Arthritis Community
chronic pain

chronic pain

I have severe pain in my joints. The strange thing is lately it seems to be worse on my left side. My left ankle, knee, wrist, and shoulder seem to be in constant pain. I take hydrocodone for the pain and it doesn't even take the edge off the left side. It takes care of my arthritis pain on the right side. I also have pain in my lower back and left hip occasionally. I've been tested for RA and gout and all that came back was that I have over 50% inflamation (inflammation). I don't know what to do. Walking is almost impossible. Just sitting I am in constant pain. If someone could give me an idea I would be very greatful. Thank you.
Hi there,

I've had RA since age 5 and I've found, for myself and from talking to other patients, that it often seems to be slightly worse on one side than the other. Are you left handed, by chance? I'm right handed and my right side has always been worse than the left.

It's not at all uncommon to test negative for RA factor yet have all the symptoms - it's called being sero-negative. A good rheumatologist will know this and treat you for RA anyway. I'm concerned that you aren't being given meds to slow the progression of the disease - it really doesn't help you much to simply treat the symptoms. If you haven't seen a rheumatologist, find one. If you have seen one, find a better one - the first one you saw is pretty worthless if all he's giving you are pain meds alone.
I should have added that a rheumie will carefully evaluate each joint, listen to you about your symptoms, probably do more bloodwork to look for RA and other conditions that can cause similar symptoms, and probably do xrays and possibly an MRI. He or she won't rely on blood tests alone.
I have arthritis in my low back/legs and I take black cherry extract for the pain and inflammation. I use th NOW brand 750mg capsules. I take two a day now more if needed (during storms ect when I know it is going to inflame) The first week I took 6 per day one two in the morning two at noon and two before I went to bed. These worked better for me than any otc or prescription meds I tried. They may or may not work for you but it is another option that is not hard on your body like ibuprofen. I also agree with the above post I think other testing would help you if done by a specialist and set your mind at ease.
ps. If you do try the black cherry please let me know how they work for you.

Best of luck to you, Sissie
Where do you get the black cherry extract at. I'm willing to try anything that might work that won't hurt me. If I can find it I will try a bottle and then I'll let you know how it works. I just need to know an idea of where to get it.
I buy it at the local health food store. You can also buy it online. I am currently waiting on blood test to see if I have RA and I asked the doctor if it was ok to take them with the problems I have or if it would mess with anything he said no that they would be fine. They usually cost around 20 dollars too so it is cheap and healthy. Hope they help you.

Best wishes, Sissie
I have an appointment with a rheumie but first appt isn't available till Sept 5. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks alot.