Arthritis Community
clavicle bone tumor

clavicle bone tumor

I am a 56 year old female in general good health. I developed a mass at the base of the front neck where the clavicle meets on the right side about a year ago. MRI report said the tumor is osteo arthritic and bone spur evident. It is the size of a large walnut and no one seems to have seen this before or know just what to do about it. I had a second MRI done which shows no increase in growth over the year. It is tender to the touch and I would really like to know if anyone has had a similar problem and how it was addressed. It is a definite malformation of the bone which can clearly be seen at the throat base. I am worried. The last entry for such a thing was 2003 but I don't know what became of these two people who reported the same thing?
I have the same thing in the same place. When I first found it I thought cancer or something and freaked out a bit. However, once I calmed down I thought back to when I had a 3rd degree AC seperation. According to my surgeon he found chipped away bone from the clavicle, which is why the bump formed it. It is just ossification of the clavicle, which usually ossifies before other bones. You probably damaged your clavicle sometime in your life, but never new until you got older and the osteoarthritis started setting it. Basically, you think the bump formed a year ago, when in fact, it has been around longer than your think. Just notice because it is starting to hurt you, which is normal.

If it were a tumor, as you called it, they would have removed it by now, and it would not stay the same size for over a year. So, to say "bone tumor" is a little over dramatic. Bone tumor usually means bone cancer, which would definitely worsen within a year.
Im going to a general surgeon by the rquest of my ortho Dr.>Ithought I han a fractured clav...come out after 1mri and 1ct it is a tumor /cyst which Im going to have removed ASAP..