Arthritis Community
degenerative changes in both hips and pubic symphysis

After a fall, I had x-rays on both of my hips and pelvis, to rule out a break. The x-rays showed no break, but degenerative changes in both hips and pelvis. I have an old posttraumatic fragmentation at the left greater trochanter, and both greater trochanters show bone spurs. My PCP wants me to see a specialist with the view of micro-surgery on both hips to remove the arthritic changes. Has anyone had this done. My PCP's words were "with the view of putting off hip replacements... WTF!!!!!

When I wake in the morning my whole midsection is so stiff and painful I can hardly move, and can't bend over until I move around for awhile. I was told my pubic symphysis is fusing itself together, so not allowing it to move freely like it should. I have a bulging disc at L4-5, as well as spinal stenosis. I can't walk very far without pain. Actually my whole spine has lots of degenerative osteo-arthritis, as well as degenerative disc disease.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to live with this? I have to work for a living, being a 62 year old widow. I drive 8 hrs a day as a courier, so I know my job exacerbates my problems, but I have no choice in the matter. I also have fibro, confirmed by a neurological exam. I get very frustrated with being in pain all the time, and have extreme fatigue also. Getting thru the week is a challenge. Any suggestions welcome.

Maggie.
Glad your doc is referring you to a specialist!  I recommend you ask about physical therapy and pain management too.  The PT can show you exercises that will help you function and I cannot say enough about what pain mgmt docs do.  Other things you can try include hot soaks w/epsom salts, heat wraps (like thermacare), topical pain relievers (biofreeze or stopain) and check out your local back store to see if you can find supports/pillows to relieve the pain you experience while driving.  The cushions with the space in the back for your tail bone and the lumbar support help me.  I guess I should also say I have arthritis in my spine and hips, stenosis and several other wonderful afflictions :)  While no one has talked to me about surgery, I have suffered and the things I mentioned have helped me.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing and what the next steps will be.  Good luck!
Yes, by all means, see a Pain Management Doctor.  It will get you thru until you retire.  Just be careful about not overdoing it on the excercises having fibromyalgia.  When you overdo it, then you only hurt yourself rather than help.  Excercises should be yoga type.  I had good luck with aqua-therapy.  Good Luck to you.
I have not had this surgery, but know that the mirco spur deletion procedure is super helpful should you want to, let say, continue to work. Things, if left to be, will spell certain disability and much pain and misery that need not occur. Get the referral from your PCP, and see what this Doctor has to say. Solutions exist, should you elect to see the menu. Pain, as you know, is NO FUN. Thus, hop on this referral, and get to fixing whats broke!  Good Luck, Pmartin
Sounds like you have a lot to deal with, dear.  It is so difficult to function around pain.  I have RA, and degenerative disk disease, and my pubic symphysis is deteriorating so I go to a pain clinic and was just started on a low dose (30mg) of Cymbalta for the neurological pain.  It scrambles the pain messages before they get to the brain.  Although it was developed for depression, the low dose has actually been studied and approved for osteoarthritis, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, diabetic neuropathy, post shingle pain, and musculoskeletal pain.  I could tell the difference the first night I took it.  And it didn't make me feel different than myself, like some of the antidepresents and neurotin have done.  Have you been to a Rheumatologist or at least had a work up for auto immune diseases??  That might shed some light on what is happening and what to expect, along with some treatment options.  I hope you will get the answers you need to be your personal best.  Blessings, Jean  
I WAS TESTED AND FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE DEGENATIVE CHANGES IN BOTH HIPS, MORE SEVERE ON THE RIGHT. I HAVEN'T SPOKEN TO A DOCTOR ABOUT IT YET. IS THE SUGERY SAFE IF I HAVE TO GET.
WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR? WILL MY DOCTOR RECOMEND ONE TO ME?