Arthritis Community
had severe pain after knee sprain. The sprain occurred 10 days after h...

had severe pain after knee sprain. The sprain occurred 10 days after having partial knee replacement

Prior to my sprain,  I was finally feeling nomal. It has been almost 2 weeks now and I am having severe pain.  I have gone from being able to walk independently to now having to go on a cane on my good days to a walker on my not so good days.  I can't drive, clean, go to the grocery store.  I am off of pain medications because the doctor feels that I should not be having pain.  I am at my wit's end, I was very active prior to the knee problem.  Now I can't walk to the kitchen without assistance.  I told my husband last night that I would consider amputating the leg so that I can get rid of the pain and at least be able to function around the house.  I went to the doctors office after the sprain and regular x-rays were done.  He said that nothing was broken or torn.  However, if I spend anytime on the knee it becomes extremely swollen and warm to touch.  I can't lay down and I can't straighten my leg.  
It takes a while to heal after a knee replacement, even a partial one. It's extremely important to keep up with your physical therapy exercises, via appointment and at home. However I wonder if you might be pushing too hard to return to normal activities too soon after surgery. You've had some major alterations to the bones of your knee, plus you undoubtedly still have some post-op pain, which alters the way you walk, stand, etc.  Are you seeing a physical therapist?