Arthritis Community
jaw popping

jaw popping

Sometimes when I eat my right jaw pops
Really loud and does this for like five minutes what
Causes this ?could I have arthritis in my jaw I
Have it in my shoulder and knee
I guess it's possible, but a more likely cause of this popping is TMJ.  Do you find that you grit your teeth a lot or have you ever been told that you grind your teeth when you sleep?
It is possible to have arthritis in any joint in the body.  My guess also would be TMJ.  You can see your dentist for an assessment of these joints.
It sound like you have TMJ dysfunction.  It is possible you have arthritis in your jaw.  I have osteoarthritis in my own jaws.  I was told to use my fingers to keep myself from yawning too wide and that I would need to be on a soft diet the rest of my life.  I was told I need to limit my talking on the phone and singing.  

I've been wearing flat planed splint nightly, prescribed by maxillofacial specialists to try to prevent my arthritis from worsening and it seems to be helping.  I still get sore from too much talking, chewing, or singing & sometimes have to take cyclic prescription ibuprofen, which I was told is the best medication for this problem.
Surgimenopause how do you use your fingers to keep from yawning to wide ?your response was very good thank you
I press them on my chin so as to try to keep from opening my mouth too wide (a doctor told me to do this).  When I forget, I can often hear a pop or cra-ack!  Thank you for the compliment!  I think one reason why God gave to me the trials of so many physical problems is so I can help other people- which is a real privilege!

I hope you can take some steps before your own situation gets worse... it can really get bad, believe me!  I wished somebody had told me with my first TMJ flare-up that I needed to make permanent eating adjustments then.  When I felt better, I started eating like usual again and wound up with a permanent problem.  
What kind of arthritis do you have?  TMJ can go with some types and also with fibromyalgia.