Arthritis Community
joint & muscle pain with weird RA blood results?

I had my gall bladder out 6 weeks ago and for about the last 4 weeks I have had major joint pain in my hips and shoulders as well as my upper arm muscles and coming and going in other areas, like wrists, knees, neck etc...Voltaren helped and I am now on celebrex, which is good, but not quite as good as the voltaren. Without medication, I could barely get out of bed due to the joint pain.

My blood results were strange. Doc thought it was polymyalgia, but my CRP was only slightly elevated. CCP, which I believe is a marker for RA is positive, at a low level, but Rheumatoid factor was in the reference range for normal.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might mean? Im seeing a rhumatologist in late december.
All other tests, thyroid etc normal. Doc said if he hadn't done CCP, he would not have considered RA, as other result normal....? Arrrggg. Im a ballroom dancer and the last thing I need is arthritis in my very early 40s!
Hi there!

Well, as you would already know, CCP antibodies are an early marker and relatively more specific than RF levels. However in the absence of RA these would rarely be present in 3-5% cases, while a negative RF in the presence of RA is present in about 15% of cases (seronegative RA). Well, in the situation of low CCP positive levels, I would suggest repeating the test in about 4-6 weeks with anti-MCV antibodies/ POCT. If the test happens to be positive, it should be treated as a case of RA.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!