Arthritis Expert Forum
left shoulder/shoulder blade pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

left shoulder/shoulder blade pain

about 1 year ago, i started experiencing pain that started beside/behind left shoulder blade. arthrogram showed tear in the supraspinitis tendon in upper left shoulder. a surgeon told me it was not worth repairing and to try physical therapy. it only made the pain worse. i have since developed pain in entire left side, including the shoulder (which produces a "popping" or grinding sound when rotated), extreme pain (burning sensation) on the inside of left shoulder blade about halfway down, muscle spasms in neck and collarbone and increasingly bad headaches.  spinal mri's all show mild degenerative disc disease but nothing significant enough for this to be spine related. myelogram and bone scan both came back normal. i have tried every kind of anti-inflammatory known with no relief. pain meds help relieve severe pain but i know it is only masking the problem. i have questioned doctors if this is related to rotator cuff disease, brought on by the torn supraspinitis tendon going unrepaired, but they look at me like i'm crazy or something. it is possible that i have developed more tears in rotator cuff. please note that there was no known injury to the shoulder, but has gotten increasingly worse over time.  PLEASE HELP!
You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation, including bone scans, MRIs and myelograms.  With the MRI scans it would be unlikely that more tears on the rotator cuff would be missed.

When it comes to chronic pain, there are a couple of options.  The first would be to obtain several opinions - i.e. from other orthopedic surgeon - to ensure that there is indeed no surgical options.

If that has been done, I would consider a referral to a pain management specialist.  If anti-inflammatories don't help, I would consider other modalities (i.e. other classes of pain medications) that can help manage the discomfort.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
this is terri456 again. just wanted to add that i also get pain in left forearm and it feels as if i have developed tendonitis in my left elbow. had emg done about a month ago, and it came back normal too.  these doctors make me feel like i'm crazy!
I'd like to know the answer, too!

I have had shoulder tendonitis for years!  It waxes and wanes, but there is never a minute when I am not in pain.  Like you, anti-inflammatories don't help much and tear up my stomach.  I don't take narcotics--I don't want to go down that road.

Icing the shoulder 4 times a day for 20-30 minutes seems the most helpful thing, and simply resting it as much as possible when it is bad.  Heat feels good, but can make tendonitis worse.

No injury or tear shows up on tests, and they look at me like I am crazy, too--like it can't hurt THAT bad...

But it does.
but my question remains- what is causing the popping in my shoulder and the burning sensation under the shoulder blade?  also, would simple ultrasound show if any additional tears have developed since arthrogram was done (that was about 5 monthes ago)? the arthrogram only showed what was wrong with my upper shoulder, not what the problem was in my shoulder blade. the best way to describe it is as if i'm being stabbed or poked in that area of my back (its quite constant). if i put my hand down by my shoulder blade and pull upwards, i can feel a bump, as if the tissue (muscle) is rubbing over something swollen. a few monthes ago i was given cortisone injections (2 on different occasions) in that same spot that hurts by the shoulder blade. is it possible that a tendon was ruptured? so many questions it seems noone can answer. thanks for helping me. i am going to see another surgeon tomorrow, but so far my track record with doctors has not been very good. starting to get very discouraged to say the least.
Hello,  I have been experiencing pain on the left side of my neck, at the edge of my left shoulder blade, left shoulder, left elbow area, and left wrist for 10 yrs.  

I had a cortisone injection at c4 that provided no results in addition to cortisone injections in my shoulder blade bursa, shoulder, and elbow.  I have had MRI work done of the shoulder and it showed no problems.  Neck MRI showed some broad based disc protrusions at C4-5 producing minimal indentation of the thecal sac but no compression of the cord or encroachment upon the lateral recesses or the nerve roots. Does this mean the problem does not stem from here?

Has anyone had similiar pain and found relief with injections at C4-5, C5-6 or alternative methods?

Thanks for any advice.
I have the EXACT same symptoms you describe, only on my right side. It is very painful, and causes a lot of headaches also. Doctors seem baffled, and If I am in too much pain, ER docs dont want to seem to help me. I am not afraid to take narcotics, as it is the only thing that gets me through my day, and allows me to work on a daily basis. It is very frustrating I know, when doctors dont seem to know whats going on. I actually had one doctor ask me what I wanted him to do. Isn't that why I pay them, so they can tell ME what to do. Sometimes I feel like I ave more knowledge and curiosity about things than they do. I should have been a doctor. I hope we can both get a solution to our problem soon.
sorry to hear about anyone else who experiences what i do but glad to know im not alone on this. have seen so many doctors i'm sick of them. like you, they ask me what should be done or if the diagnosis they give me sounds good to me! we live in a modern medical society and you would think it's the dark ages. every doctor i have seen (6 to date) has a different opinion. i've been told i have tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, rsd, myofascial muscle pain, and that i'm simply making this up to get prescription meds.  Don't want their damn meds, just answers!  since my last posting the pain has become almost debilatating at times. i'm now also experiencing pain in my lower back and my right shoulder has started to hurt and pop just like my left. it's as if the pain is starting to spread throughout my entire back.  surgeons keep telling me theres nothing they can do, and a pain management doctor wanted me to take morphine every day and got mad when i refused it. can't exactly function on a daily basis doped up on morphine!  tried doing cortisone shots in left shoulder/shoulder blade region with absolutely no results.  my pcp has even told me ther's nothing more he will do for me! thanks for letting me vent and hope to hear from others who can provide us with any answers!
In the last two years, I have experienced muscle spasms & severe burning pain in my left shoulder & neck. I could not reach into the medicine cabinet. I have seen a Chiropractor, 2 Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2 Neurologists, 1 Radiologist, 1 Physiatrist & 3 Physical Therapists. In the last year I have had 2 MRIs (one of the cervical spine showing moderate disc bulge at C5-6; the other of the shoulder, showing mild tendinitis), 3 EMGs (first one came back moderate-severe carpal tunnel in both wrists, second & third came back normal), 1 CT guided cervical steroid epidural (helped with the severe burning pain)Until I saw the Physiatrist, I did not have a clear diagnosis.  His diagnosis includes: Gillette overuse injury neck and left shoulder; severe cervicoscapulothoracic myofascial dysfunction, left sided; cervical disc bulging C5-6 with secondary left neuroforaminal narrowing & cervical alordosis.  For the last seven months I have been been receiving treatment by a Physical Therapist who is a manual technician. Because of the duration it has taken to get the correct diagnosis, my recovery is very slow, but improving.

I have had exactly the same symptoms for nearly 3 years.  Somedays I have no pain, others I feel like my arm and shoulder will fall right off my body.

I have asked many people what the problem is, but I have not seen a doctor.  After listening to many, I believe I have tendonitis in my shoulder and neck.

A friend of mine from a former job had identical systems.  We both did similar work (lifting and such) for 12 years.  I believe the repetitive motion of the job, combined with the weight we had to lift, brought these symptoms on.  What kind of work do you do?

The best method I have found for getting rid of the pain is ignore it.  On days when it hurts bad, dont stretch it, dont twist, dont do anything abnormal related to the shoulder.  It may feel good immediately, but a few minutes later and it will feel worse.  Ignore it as much as possible.  With any luck, the pain will decrease to a manageable point.

I recently started going to the gym to try and get myself in better shape.  I have also been lifting with my shoulders and, while the pain isnt gone, I get less bad days.

Since mva 9 months ago,I experience poping,bone grinding, burning pain (most of the times - sleepless)    and heard flesh tearing-whenever I use force on my left shoulder,hardly raise hand-straightup (90 degree), plain X ray proof nothing ...(normal) The mri with no positive results.(the reports said "Oblique coronal: T1 & T2 and multiecho T2 with fat supression. Oblique sagittal: TSE T2 and multiecho T2 with fat suppression. Axial:  multiecho T2 with fat suppression.No abnormaljoints effusion.The tendon of rotator cuff appear appear intact.No borny abnormality.Intact labra and glenolhumeral ligaments.No fluid in the subdeltoid or subacromial bursae.MY PROBLEMS IS PAINS. APPRECITED TO KNOW,WHAT WRONG WITH MY SHOULDER?..THANKS
Me to, almost identical symptoms, no answers. Tired of Docs looking at me like Im a nut case.  Left shoulder pain, shoulder blade pian, down into left arm and elbow now too, and up into left side of neck and ear.  Add to the mix, heart probs and when I say my left side hurts, they check my heart and say..nothing wrong there, and ignore the shoulder stuff.. MRI shows nothing, x-ray shows nothing...no pain reliver works..ice helps somtimes...hurts every single day...som days so bad I dont want to move...any suggestions?
SHOULDER PAINS HAVE GIVEN ME ALOTS OF MISERABLY PAINS,ESPECIALLY RESTING TIME (NAPPING), IN AND OUT BOTH PRIVATE AND GH..EVEN ONE DOCTOR GRINLY SAID HIS SHOULDER  ALSO HIGHER ONE SIDED LIKE MINE OR PRECISELY WITH THEIR FAMOUS VERSES*YOU ARE GETTING OLD* OR ELSE *SOFT TISSUE INJURY* A MEMBER (BLONDIE)SUGGESTED THAT I COULD HAVE FIBROMYALGIA,SHE RECCOMENDING   ENDEP (FOR DEPRESSION) PANADINE FORTE OR ((EPILIM)) TO MINIMIZE ELECTROS OF BRAINS(RELIEF PAINS).BUT I FEELS UNCOMFORTABLENESS,WEAKENS.SHE ALSO SUGGESTS FOR MRI/MRAs CAT,BUT WITH NEGATIVE RESULTS. LAST WEEKS I DECIDED TO GIVE ANOTHER TRIAL (MRI)WITH DIFFERENCE, SMALL MEDICAL PROVIDER (KBMC), WITH RELIABLE SPECIALIST,WHO CONFIRMED THAT I HAVE LIGAMENT TEARS,NEEDS SURGICALLY OPERATION..MY PROBLEMS WAS ANSWERED...
G'day everyone,well we all are all learning very quickly that we are not alone with our pain and symptoms...Like all of you i have been struggling with these same pains for 6 years now..Scans,tests you name it,had em all.Specialists to rheumo's to osteo's,chiro's,physio's,naturopath,homeopath,chinese medicine,to the hospital pain clinic.All to no avail of course.Pain and stiff neck that radiates down my left shoulder,left shoulder blade that aches with almost constant pins and needles that wake me up every hour when sleeping.Pain that goes down my left arm and hammers my left elbow which has just had it's 8th cortisone(couldn't live without them)...Live on panadeine forte,morpine tabs,voltaren.And to add a little salt to the wound i'm now experiencing the same symptoms on my right side .Mirrored exactly!should be exciting...Well the moral to this story is that my GP just put me on celebrex and guess what,with the exception of the elbows all the other pains have subsided to about 1/3 of what they were.This may not sound like much to the average Joe,but to myself and to most of you i would guess is a dream come true.(This is after only 2 days mind you)Off course celebrex has its skeletons in the closet,but by this stage who gives a toss!Well godd luck to all of you and i pray you all some relief.God bless.
Hello, I'm experiencing some of the same symptoms.  I have pain behind my left shoulder blade that is radiating around my left ribcage almost into my chest. The pain also goes down the backside of my upper arm.  It's the most anoying pain.  The skin down my arm is amost hyper sensitive, a tingling sensation.  Does anyonelse have this.  I've been dealing with this for over a year now, it went away for awhile but is back.  I'm only 31 years old, have always been very active.  I constantly worry about what this is which probably doesn't help.  Just glad to know I'm not the only one.  Any resolution would be great.
Hi, well it looks like i'm not alone, i too have all the same symptoms you all decribe, its so debilitating,my pain comes and goes and has done for a few years but this time its been constant for a month, there must be someone out there with an answer for us, i did have some bloods done recently and the outcome was raised blood count which is sometimes caused by athritis apparently, as i'm no doctor (and i dont have much faith in them anymore )i dont know what to believe.
my pain started as a burning sensation in my left back as though i had torn something, now its a constant pain up my spine which radiates around the left side, and getting comfortable in bed is almost impossible without a hot water bottle, which only numbs the pain for a short while.
i'm going to try glucosamine which i'm told is good for joints etc, and maybe some arnica, also good for sports injuries or bruising, at this stage anything is worth a try... i'll let you know how i get on..
I AM 23 YEARS OLD & ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO I STARTED HAVING SEVERE NECK PAIN & COULD NOT MOVE MY NECK. I THEN WENT TO MY FAMILY DOCTOR TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG... HE THEN SENT ME FOR XRAYS. THE XRAYS CAME BACK NORMAL. I NEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG SO I DEMANDED AN MRI. HE STATED THE MRI WAS NORMAL. HE THEN SENT ME TO A SPECIALIST, A PAIN MANGEMENT DOCTOR. THIS WAS THE FIRST MEDICAL PROBLEM I EVER HAD. I WENT TO THE DOCTOR HE DID NOT TREAT ME WITH RESPECT ABOUT MY PAIN I BELIVE I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL I MT HEAD. I WENT TO PHYSICAL THEROPY. SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN TO 2 OTHER PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTORS BECUASE EVEY ONE I GO TO TELLS ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT WRONG WITH ME. THE FIRST ON TOLD ME I HAD BULGIN DISKS IN MY NECK & THE OTHER SAID I HAD SEVERE JOINT PAIN. SINCE THEN THE PAIN CAUSES ALSO BURNING A STABBING PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS & BETWEEN MY SHOULDER BLADES. THE TIME OF WORK I DO MAKES IT HARD TO WORK. I JUST TRYING TO GET THROUGH DAY BY DAY WITH OUT PAIN MEDICINE, BUT I CAN'T SLEEP & I CAN'T DO ANYTHING I USED TO DO. I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN & THERE ARE NOT MANY DOCTORS, BUT IT IS SO UPSETTING TO KNOW SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU & I AM IN PAIN EVERYDAY & I AM ONLY 23 YEARS OLD, BUT NO DOCTOR HAS HELPED ME. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS HELP ME..
Hi, I'm 36 and having all the same complaints for three months now. I hurt from my ear, down the neck into the left shoulder down the arm and into my back behind the shoulder blade.  However, I also have breast and chest pain to add to it.  I have had MRI's, CT, EMG, sonogram, Physical Therapy, given a cortisone shot in the breast area and been put on a prednisone dose pack, because all the swelling has made it difficult to breathe. I first thought I might have a rotor cuff injury, but they ruled that out.  I also have lumps in my left breast, so they sent me to a surgeon, who told me I had Costrochonditis.  He is the one who gave me the injection.  It did help with the chest pain and breathing, but the shoulder and back are still killing me. My doctor has also suggeted Celebrex.  However, I can't take any other anti-inflammatory while on it. I also feel like they have know idea what this is.  They are just trying to treat the pain and not find out what is causing it.  I have worked in the medical field for 18 years.  I use to always have confidence, but not anymore.  I also am very frustrated.  I know that back and shoulder pain can be a symptom of other underlying conditions and this is the part that worries me the most.  If anyone has any suggestions or new leads to recovery, please let me know.  I will pray for you all....Thanks
i have been having shoulder and left arm pain for almost a year now. it just recently got to the point to where it is unbearable. i went to the e.r. and the doctor treated me with total disrespect and asked me what i wanted him to do. i pay a lot in insurance and hes the fu@#ing doctor!!! shouldnt he know what to do? he didnt even examen me!! my regular doc has started treating me like im lying or crazy. he has had me on hydrocodone and its not even helping. now he wants to cut me off of them when im at my worst, i cant imagine what a day would be like with no pain relief at all. ive had several tests done that all cam back normal. i had a mri done twicw, one said i had a bulging disc in c6,c7 region and now mt pcp says they lied and i dont have the bulging discs. i simply cannot take anymore, there beginning to make me feel like im crazy adn making me question myself!! my doctor even made me feel like total ****, i left there crying. am i doomed, or is there help for us? my life seems to be deteriorating from all this. i can totally relate with you all, if anyone has any advice im all ears. its just kind of relieving to know im not totally alone.
are you spending hours time at a desk, using your computer? here's my story: three years ago i was laid off from a computer-intensive job. i started doing the same kind of work as a freelancer at home. i had a typical desktop setup--no ergonomic chair, keyboard shelf, anything. anyway, i slowly developed excruciating pain in my left shoulder and arm, with sudden shooting pain from the subtlest movement. like many of you i often felt the pain radiating down my arm, and my skin on that arm sometimes felt sore. i couldn't raise my arm higher than my shoulder.

i saw many specialists but nothing helped.

then i bought a laptop, moved to the couch and sat back and worked. maybe it was the fact that my hands were now positioned below my elbows, or that i couldn't cross my legs and had to sit properly, or maybe because i didn't lean forward, instead i leaned back a little and supported my head/neck with a roll-pillow behind my neck...anyway, within a month i had full range of motion, and within 6 months i completely recovered. three years later i now have what sounds like bursitis in my left shoulderblade, but i have also moved to a different couch and my posture has declined. i will definately be working on it as a solution because my previous recovery based on posture alone was remarkable. if you can't buy a laptop, try anything that would help you to have different and better posture while working at your computer.
I have had this same problem on and off since I was little. My Dad knew the cure for it. The ONLY thing that worked is if my Dad would find the ball (We called it a stress ball) and he would but all of his stregth (he was strong) into mashing the ball with his middle finger nuckle. He would chase the ball wherever it went. I would be in intense pain while he did this. He would wait until I just couldn't take the pain any more, which was after I asked him to stop two or three times. After he stopped, the pain disappeared. I was fine. It would not come back untill the next time I got too stressed.

I still get these stress balls every once in a while when I get too stressed out or drink too much coffee. Now that my Dad passed away, I don't have anyone strong enough to put enough heavy consistant pressure on the ball and chase the ball wherever it goes. The way I do it now is as follows:

1. Turn a short stool upside-down on the floor.
2. Sit on the floor and put my legs up on a couch.
3. Put my shoulder blade/knot/stress-ball on one of the stool legs.
4. Lift my butt up and put all of my weight (205 lbs) on the stool leg (need a strong stool/leg).
5. Chase the ball around and don't stop. Even if you think you absolutely can't handle the pain any longer. Wait a little longer. The longer you wait, the less likely you will have to go through this again anytime soon.

Note: Rubbing/pressing the stress ball on the corner of a wall can help but it usually only temporary because you can't put enough pressure on it.

Disclaimer: Consult a doctor before doing any of the items mentioned above.

Good luck and I hope this helps. I know the extreme pain that you are going through and I feel for all of you.

Bob
By the way, smolderingwig is right too. I notice the shoulder stress ball comes back when I study too much with my head at a slight angle looking down at the book. I now make sure that my head is not bent at an angle when I study and have not had problems for a couple of years now. The same thing with my monitor at work. I don't bend my head there either.

I also don't drink as much coffee as I used to and try to relax more and not let things bother me as much. Once I get extremely stressed out, the pain will come back and I will have to do my "stress ball smash". I don't like going through that either so it gives me more insentive to try and relax and enjoy life.

Good luck again.

Bob
I get the same pain only it moves from left to right shoulder.
It's very hard to move, sleep pain is  bad. Just wish someone could help us out...........
It is amazing that so many of us have the same type of pain. Mine is in the right shoulder area. The entire shoulder,neck up to ear,trapezius and shoulder blade.  This has been going on for years. I had acromioplasty surgery 3 years ago. The doctor saw an impingement and we thought it would relieve the pain. It did nothing.  Now, I have seen another doctor and had new MRI's done. I have a partial tear of the infrapsinatus and arthritis in my AC joint. He gave me a cortisone injection and that gave absolutely no relief. I go back tomorrow to talk about surgery. I went to my physical therapist that said to go through with it since I have been in such pain for more than 7 years (I am 41 and teach strength training classes and personal training.) He thinks,that although the recovery will be long, in the long run, I'll feel better. He explains it as driving a car with a flat tire all these years and it's throwing my body mechanics "out of whack". I am so confused. If there is anyone out there that could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sincerely, Renee' p/s I don't like pain med's or narcotics either, messes up my stomach. I have tried accupressure, accupuncture, physical therapy, rest, ice, you name it!!
I've been feeling the same pain for about 4-5 years now.  It starts in my neck/ear area and runs down to my right shoulder blade area.  I feel a constant burning sensation deep inside my shoulder blade area.  I've gotten a cortisone shot that didn't do a thing.  I also got x-rays, etc that show no problems.  Doctors have no idea what the problem is.  It is so frustrating!!  There is obviously something wrong in there. I'm 30 and in good physical shape.  I just can't imagine having to live with this for the rest of my life.  I hope we all find a cure soon.

Things that make me feel better.

1. Sleeping on a towel that is rolled up and placed under my neck.

2. Sleeping with my right arm over my head. (like I'm raising my hand)

3. Keeping your posture upright really helps!  Especially when sitting at a computer.

did you have an mri? my xrays' were clear, but a tear won't show up on xray's? r u seeing an orthopedic surgeon or md? try a sports related ortho. good luck,renee
I'm so happy to find a forum with so many others with my same issues.  I've had this problem for 8 almost 9 years!  I noticed these problems about 4 months after I graduated college and started my new job.  I've been in PT and seen numerous doctors over the last 8 years with not much luck.  

My problem area is from from my right upper neck all the way down to my right shoulder blade.  I have the burning feeling under the shoulder blade area too.  I have had probably 12 sets of trigger point injections.  Some work great for a month or so.  The Drs cant figure out why the TP's keep coming back.  They tell me I dont need an MRI and that it's my "postural muscles" and that I simple need to strengthen them.  I did PT for 7 months strengthening my back/neck and once I went back to my normal hobbies, the pain was back again.

A cervical MRI showed a bulging disk in c5/c6 so I've had about 6 sets of Epidural Steriod Injections which helped some of the pain for awhile but it always returns.

I notice when I lay flat on the floor and raise my right arm from my side all the way up above my head, I get 3 big pop/clicking sounds.  I can make it pop over and over and then the pain is worse. Its a constant pain.  I also have pain in my right forearm from my elbow.  

I recently had surgery for cubital tunnel syndrom (syndrome) and tendonitious in both my right and left elbows.  That helped the issue of my hands/fingers going numb after typing so long.

By the way, what is everyones occupation?? I am a computer programmer so I'm on the PC for 8 hrs a day.  My station is supposed to be ergonomic but my keyboard keeps my mouse from being in the right spot.  I was off for 3 months after the CBS surgeries and my back was somewhat better but then one day all the TP's came back with a vengenance. Now that I'm back at work, the pain is worse and seems to be like an electical feeling that is turned up in all painful areas.  

I am going to DEMAND MRI and anything else that may show what the crunching/popping is in my back/shoulder.

My PT said my right shoulder was 3 CM off for some reason too. I bought a smaller lighter purse on his advice and try not to carry anything with one arm/shoulder.

I agree that the dr's seem to not know what to do for me. It is so frustrating living with the pain or taking drugs to get thru the day!!

I forgot to mention that my PT finds issues with my ribs almost every visit.  I feel them popping around at times and then notice the back pain starts up again.  He adjust them and it gets better for awhile until it pops out again.  I've worked on strengthening them but that doesnt seem to help for long.

Anyone else have rib issues?
I went to the orthosurgeon. I am scheduled for surgery at the end of the month. He gave me a shot of lidocaine and left me alone for about 10  min's to see what it would do. It did relieve pain and a headache, so that showed that I do have arthritis in the AC joint as shown on the MRI.  He is not certain how bad my tear is in the rotator cuff until he gets inside. As nervous as I am about all of this, I have great confidence in this doctor and am believing that this will be the answer to my prayers.
Angela--So sorry to hear of your problems:(. No, I don't have rib problems but do have shoulder/bicep/trapezius/neck.etc.  Good luck.
OK ......I have this pain ...started in July .....on my back shoulder blade Leftside....seems to have originated in the proximaty of a tattoo I have had there for 8 years with no problem ....Sometimes it is a tingle  sometimes an itch ....often a sun burning sensation....sometimes it feels as though Iv been stabbed....it is very localized, always in the same spot.....I have made a appt with a derm. as I think it is a skin thing ......anyone have any ideas??????
Hi I'm 35 years old. I have Buritis in my left shoulder and I was told by the doctor I also have Bursitis in my right leg.
I have had the pain for 5 months now, and is unberable, I cannot sleep well and I'm so tired all the time.
Now I'm having the same type of pain in my right shoulder and left leg, so now I  have pain in both my shoulders and both my legs!!!!
From what I have been reading most people get bursitis in one area of the body, since I have it in 4 parts of my body I'm really concerned. Please anybody give an answer. The pain is terrible.
Thank you.
Has anyone tried my fix? It is the only thing that works for me. In a nutshell, find the center of the pain in your shoulder blade. If you have my problem, it will be lump/ball/knot that is causing the pain. Have someone very strong press on the lump as hard as they can with their nuckle. Have them chase the ball around while pressing and don't stop. Even if you think you absolutely can't handle the pain any longer. Wait a little longer. The longer you wait, the less likely you will have to go through this again anytime soon.

After the pain is gone, keep good posture especially at your computer at work, don't tilt your head down for a long length of time i.e. reading a book, try to not get very stressed out about things, and cut down on coffee if you drink it.

Bob

HALLO EVERYONE: I HAVE ULTRASOUND MASSAGE AND PHYSIOTHERAPHY RECENTLY,ITS DISSOLVES THE PAINS FOR SOMETIMES NOW,ITS HELP A LITTLE,BUT MUCH BETTER THAN PAIN KILLER OR INJECTIONS,..BYE
It sounds as though lots of people have the same problems.  I was diagnosed with oteoarthritis and have been refered to specialist. I have the same poping and grinding noises as others in shoulder joints along with catching my rotator on something. About 8 yrs ago I fell on the side of a hill when doing yard work and landed on my hands.  I began to have pain in my left shoulder.  PT and anti inflamatory wasn't enough.  I finally couldn't work because of pain(I am a nurse. I had an MRI which showed a rotator cuff tendonitis causing scar tissue and a frozen shoulder.  I had closed should manipulation to remove scar tissue and within short period of time was better and back to work.  Now my problem is in both shoulders R worse than L and xrays show bone spurs impinging rotator cuff. PT hurt and anti inflamatory Celebrex helps but doesn't get rid of the pain after work.  I will be scheduled for surgery later this month to remove spur either by scope or open incision and hopefully this will take are of problem.  Hope this gives a few answers to some questions others my have.
i am so relieved to find others with my same problem. i have been reading so of the comments and would like to share my smyptoms. i have had PT, cranio sacral and massage therapy, ultra sound, corizone injections, epideral injections, i have had MRI and they are normal, cat scan which are normal and a nerve test that also came back normal. My left shouldar will swell when inflammed. my pain has never crossed over to the right side of my spine and/or shouldar. I would like someone to comment on this please....when i have severe pain in my shouldar(burning itching tightness) i will try to stretch it out and it is incrediably painful to stretch my head to my chest but then it is extremly painful to come out of my stretch. it feels almost resticted. my shouldar is also numb, i can pop it dig my nails in and i dont feel anything. please comment i just got an appointment to see a othropedic surgen and would like to get an idea about the fact that my shouldar feels stuck. thank you
I have had an injury at work and it caused my c5 and c6 to bulge.  My doctor, which is a comp doctor told me that i shouldn't worry, because this wasn't anything big.  As time has gone by, the  pain in my neck leading to my shoulder has moved to the muscle that runs along my shoulder blade.   I have therapy, and this causes a lot of spasms.   I have been out of work for 5 months, and the pain hasn't gotten better.   I had an emg and it came back normal.  In therapy i had elctical stim and ultra sound wand.   I also use the heating pad as my best friend.  Motrin and flexrile doesn't do the job of eleviating the pain.   The doctors look at me as if i am lieing or something, but the pain is real.   Does anyone has this problem?
I can't believe there are so many people suffering with similar symptoms. I have had neck and shoulder pain for quite a while now and have seen many specialists and I am unsure as to how to proceed.  About two and a half years ago I began to have pain in my left shoulder.  It would come and go and wasn't too debilitating so I didn't have it treated.  After about six months of the pain, I started to develop neck pain that would go up to the back of my head, around the base of the skull.  After a month of that pain, I saw a doctor, who sent me for x-rays of my neck.  They found nothing (except I was told I had a very straight neck).  Then I was sent for an MRI - again they found nothing.  I was sent for physical therapy, which did not help. Next I was referred to an orthopedic doctor.  He gave me more x-rays (bending) and could not find anything.  He told me he could not do anything for me, but I asked him if he could give me an injection in my shoulder because that helped me about 13 years ago when I had a shoulder problem.  He gave me the injection in a trigger point and miraculously the pain in my shoulder AND neck disappeared for about 4 or 5 months.  When it came back I thought I could get another injection, however, the second time it didn't help.  I asked the doctor to MRI my shoulder since the relief of pain from the injection indicated that my shoulder might be the culprit of the neck pain.  Instead he sent me to a rheumatologist to check for fibromyalgia.  The rheumatologist said that it didn't seem that I had the symptoms of fibromyalgia.  He then sent me to a neurologist to check for nerve compression/damage.  The neurologist gave me a test and said I had no nerve damage.  I went back to my family doctor who sent me for an MRI of my shoulder.  They found something and I thought I finally found an answer.  But it is not so cut and dried.  I may have a tear in my labrum.  However the orthopedist (the second one) said there are a lot of false positives on the test.  This means that I may not have the tear to begin with.  Also, this doctor claims that it is unlikely that the tear would cause my neck problems. As a layperson, it seems to make sense that pain could be referred from shoulder to neck, but the doctor tells me this is not likely.  So my question is this:  How likely is it that the torn labrum would cause neck pain and how often do false positives occur?  I'm debating on whether to have surgery, but since my biggest concern is with neck pain,
I don't want to go through the trouble and expense of surgery, if it probably won't help the neck pain.
Thanks for listening

I have had pain in the left shoulder for over a year now, Sometimes it seems to start as a burning sensation then it goes away. Get a burning sensation on left side of neck along with muscle spasms. I was told for a year it was arthritis. I have gone to another orthopedic Dr. who thinks it may be vascular outlet syndrome because he found that along with everything else when I raise my left arm above my head I lose the pulse. I am scheduled to see a vascular dr who will be using a doppler to check blood flow of upper extremities too.  I have been for X-rays, Mri's and everything looked fine anti inflammatorys don't do much for me either. Hopefully I'll find something out with the next DR.
Hi, I just posted something similar a little while ago on in the Health/Fitness section.  

This occured several (10) months ago. I had been lifting weights at the gym for about 5 weeks, was on a bodybuilders cutting diet 6 days a week, and had lost about 20lbs...I felt great.
   I was doing seated cable rows and felt a pain in the right shoulder blade area, mostly when I would contract them during the lift. It was a stinging/slight shooting pain. I thought I just over did it and needed to give it a week of rest. When I awoke the next morning my right shoulder felt stiff and sore. I thought I just slept in a weird position. Pain continued almost every morning in the right shoulder area and I stopped going to the gym.  I don't have health insurance so I didn't see a Doc.
   Then my shoulder started "popping". Getting out of my car, off the sofa, most movements where Im pressing myself up. I could also rotate my arm and feel the pop. I finally went to the hospital clinic where the PA had me move my arm around for a few minutes(didn't feel pain)and asked if I had insurance because I probably need to see a phys. therapist, then gave me a $150 bill...Geez I wished I lived in Canada sometimes!
   Since then I've noticed the shoulder appears to be lower than the other and looks out of place...more foward than the other. The "pops" are audible a lot of the time now. It feels like I need to pop/rotate it several times a day. I went to the gym a while back and pretty much ALL chest movements like the bench press, flys, dumbell presses, etc. and medium and closer grip upright rows make it feel as if the shoulder will dislocate.  When I wake up in the morning there is always some pain, and if I turned on that side during the night it really hurts...burning sensations.
   I searched for several hours last night online and the info at exrx.net points to "protracted shoulder girdle." It lists examples of affected exercises and they're the exact ones I cannot perform. If thats correct, what treatment options are there? I was denied a low-cost state health plan. Am I assuming correctly if I go to a hospital it would be pointless?  And that I'm going to have to spend a bunch of money for a health plan and LIE about this injury to get on the health insurance plan?  Or is that 5-minutes I spent with the PA going to show up and the health insurance company will know about it anyway?  Do health insurance companies make you get a physical exam before they approve you?  I'm a 22/male if that matters.
    Any advise would be appreciated and good luck to everyone else.
hai,everyone,hopes fits and sounds then,I thinks everyone needs the  golden touch of *Florence Nightiangle* WELL,YESTERDAY BEING CONSULTED AT GH, THE PHYSICIAN wanted to give an injection to release tightness of my shoulder,I refused as I have several injections before,he also proclaimed that having steroid injections  frenquently will have side effects on body hormone, I was prescribed with T.Neurobion,Vltoren,Gelusil and physiotheraphy-follow up..bye now
hi  i havehad a problem with pain in left shoulder neck and left ear. I started getting the pain 2 years ago, after i lifted some heavy rocks while i was gardening. I was in that much pain i then started suffering panic attacks. When i went to the hospital they said it was tension, they asked about my life , i was under alot of stress at the time. I had lots of cat scans ect all it showed was that my neck was straight instead of curved, they put me on valiam and anti infam med. nothing helped.But then my hubby and i broke up and it got even worse. as time went on it all started to ease.  It is now 2 yrs later me and hubby r doing great we have had a knew baby, but i now have started getting pain back. I just wanted everyone to know that i to cannot remember what it was like to feel good. i cannot do anything i used to do and it makes my life a missery. The only thing is i do beleive it is stress related and i have found that an intense relaxation massage helps. i also now have to deel with panic attacks on top of the rest. the only thing to do is ignore it. and really take notice of the times that it is at its worst.
me again actually the valiam did help a bit.The reason they put me on it was to ease muscel tension through the night. But because it used to make me anxiouse i stopped taking it. Also when i get all the pain i feel very dissy. My neck front and sides feels like it is going to explode. While i am feeding my baby i often just sit there and cry. I try not to sook to hubby i think he gets sick of me
A related discussion, left shoulder/shoulder blade pain was started.
A related discussion, Age  / Back Pain was started.
A related discussion, shoulder blade back pain was started.
A related discussion, Constant shoulder blade pain was started.
A related discussion, left shoulder and neck pain was started.
A related discussion, Finally, Shoulder blade pain relief! was started.