Arthritis Community
living without a hip

living without a hip

has anyone like the wife been left without a hip,having had 4 opps in past 2 months
mainly for infection,hip removed ,replaced with a spacer,dislocation twice of spacer
now had that removed,and expected to live without it for at least a year.
surgeon,seems to think he will not be replacing it,and may hae to live without it
Wow.  I have not heard of anyone having so many problems with a hip replacement and being told they may have to live without it.  Have you gotten a second opinion?  If not I would recommend that as a next step.  Please let us know what you find out.
i had my hip taken out last year.a bone keeps growing over the hip so my consultant has taken the hip out as last resort.he has told me i have to live with no hip for the rest of my life im only 42
My husband is 52 and has cancer. One tumor infiltrated his hip and weakened the bone and consequently he fell and now they tell us there is no bone left to fix his hip.  We are fighting the cancer and doing radiation on the tumor in his hip and one in his back at the spine. This happened 10 days ago and he is still in tremendous pain. What are your limitations? How much mobility do you have?
Hello, I was sorry to read about your hip, I  have been told today that if my hip doesn't settle down they will have to remove it. Apparently there is a slim chance it will become secure again??  I've had three revisions, the last two within 12 months and now 6 months after I'm getting pain and the cup has loosened.  I've never heard of this and am very anxious about how I will cope afterwards.  I have rheumatoid arthritis so my joints aren't that good anyway so supporting myself on crutches for the rest of my days is is a very worrying thought.  How do you manage?? can you use crutches as well??  I look forward to hearing from you and thanks!
I am anxious to see how you are doing. My sister who is only 48 has gone through the same thing and is in a wheelchair and feels she will never walk again. What are her options?