Arthritis Community
middle finger pain

middle finger pain

I've had swelling and pain in my middle finger for about a month now.  I have limited range of motion in that finger, and it is tender to the touch down into the upper palm of my hand where the joint is, and is especially painful when I try to fully straighten the finger.

My MD put me on an anti-inflammatory but that did not do anything. I was referred to an orthopedist, who put me on a steroid for a week with no results. I went back to the ortho and he wants me to be tested for a variety of possible infections, including TB.

The finger has been x-rayed but showed nothing there. Just wondering why he didn't order an MRI?

I don't remember injuring the finger but I'm showing no other symptoms of infection such as fever or anything else.

Is it likely that it's some type of infection, or something else? I really don't want to go in for all the bloodwork/collections he's suggesting. I really feel it's a tendon/arthritis type issue but he says he wants to rule out any autoimmune type of thing before referring me to a hand specialist or surgeon.

Thoughts?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations (degenerative or autoimmune) injuries to bone or soft tissue structures etc. A few additional tests may be required for arriving at a conclusive diagnosis. After a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!