Arthritis Community
nagging knee pain

nagging knee pain

I have been having knee troubles since mid november of last year. The pain came up about two weeks after basketball had started and it hasn't gotten much better or worse to this day. The pain comes when I jump, squat, lunge, etc. which causes playing basketkball very difficult. The pain is worst directly on my kneecap. I went to the doctor about it in March and they really didn't tell much except to ice it and take ibuprofen which I have been doing often for the past 2 months with very little activity on it. That didn't really help too much so I decided to start working out on it doing some light jump exercises on it, too maybe strengthen the muscles. I did those this past Monday and Wednesday, and on Thursday my knee had swollen up and had a big bruise just above the kneecap and is painful. I don't know what to do to heal it. If you could please give me some advice to heal it, it would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe some exercises to do to prevent it in the other knee. Thank you

Tags: pains
Did your doc take xrays?  It sounds like it is time to see the doc again.  It could be that you are trying to get active too fast and need to ease back into exercise after a period of rest.  A physical therapist can help you step back up in stages.  There may be something else going on there, too.  After this long, the doc should take a closer look.
No the doctor just did a bone x ray which wouldn't show any tendon or ligament problems. But thanks i guess i'll back to the doc
You may need an MRI as that will reveal soft tissue problems.  Please let us know what you find out.