Arthritis Community
osteoarthritis in the large toe

osteoarthritis in the large toe

I have been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my large toe. I believe it is from repeated trauma to that joints having been climbing a local mountain and upon descending much stress is put on that lead foot. I take glucosamine and that's about it, although I do wear insoles in my running shoes that help a bit. There is swelling that doesn't diminish and pain is intermittent.  I'm considering checking into surgery and wonder if anyone has any advice about this. Thanks !
Tags: Osteoarthritis, large toe, glucosamine
Hi there!

Well, without the relevant clinical details such as the severity of the condition etc; or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation. Surgery may or may not be the best option at this time and an initial trial of conservative management with anti-inflammatory medication may be tried before considering alternative options. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician at this time for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you, Dr. Kaul. I haven't had much in the way of directives from my doctor except for an anti-inflammatory cream that I have used. I'll be going back as it has worsened and after reading about other people with this having success with surgery I thought I would ask here. Thanks again,

karma