Arthritis Community
pain in one single finger

pain in one single finger

I have pain in the knuckle of my middle finger.  I have had it now for a few months. Some days not so bad, some days much worse.  My GP is not concerned because I have full motion (although it hurts to close all the way), and I do not have pain in all my knuckles.  I am not so easily dissuaded.  It just doesn't seem right.  I am 41 and my only other joint problem is that my knees hurt after about 45 minutes walking in hilly terrain.
Tags: knuckle, Pain
I see that I didn't actually ask a question.  Does this seem like something I should not worry about, like my GP says?  It seems to me that if I have a continuous pain that I never used to have, there is something to be concerned about.  I would like another opinion (hopefully from this forum) before I press this issue.
Hello.  I agree with you that it seems like it should be investigated more thoroughly.  Pain is a sign that something is not right.  Did your doctor have your hand x-rayed?  If not, I would ask for it.  You might also want to get a second opinion from another doctor.  Things you may want to note that may help the doctor is what time of the day it hurts the most, whether or not it gets better with use or rest, how long it takes to feel better and what descriptive word describes the pain you are feeling.  
Regarding the pain, have you tried any over the counter pain relievers?  You might try one geared towards arthritis.
Please let us know what you find out.
Thank you for your input.  I will talk to my doctor again. He did not x-ray my hand, and I am going to give him the further information as you suggested.