ARTHRITIS
COMMUNITY
pain under shoulder blade severe when lying down
by sleepy1967, Mar 20, 2012
I have been experencing pain under shoulder blade when I lie down to sleep, Tenderness in ribs and paiin under ribs in front. Seems to spasm at times and unable to roll over in bed without severe pain . This happens within 5 minutes of lying down and is better when I move around. This has gone on for several months. If I lie on left side its ok until i move. only other symptom is hip joint pain any suggestions as to what this is? I also have difficulting bending on rt side.
Member Comments (3)
by S. Kaul, MDBlank, Mar 22, 2012
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered for scapular/ rib pain include pleuritis, periostitis, nerve impingement/ pressure, muscle sprain, tendon/ ligament injuries/ inflammation etc. Hip pain could be caused by infections/ inflammations, bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis, capsulitis, ligament/ tendon tears, growths/ tumours, nerve impingement, avascular necrosis, fractures, dislocations, etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these are helpful for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
by sleepy1967, Mar 23, 2012
went today to see dr I have spasm of the Latissimus Dorsi and bursitis in hip . Thanks for the recommendations!
by kbrowngolf, Sep 02, 2012
But was he right?  Mine said the same thing, for the EXACT same back symptoms (exact to the letter!) , and the meds did nothing.  Please advise if meds worked, and what meds they were.  Thanks.