Arthritis Community
pediatric arthritis

pediatric arthritis

My husband has been diagnosed with Agent Orange, having been in Viet Nam 1968-69.   Now my 4 year old granddaughter has been diagnosed with pediatric rheumatiod arthritis.  I just read that it could be something handed down from her grandfather who had Agent Orange.   Is this true and do you know the best place to get help for my granddaughter?
I don't know much about Agent Orange.  What I can tell you is that the RA disease itself can't be passed down through generations, only the genes of the disease.  At least that is what my husbands Rheumatologist told me.  I was worried that my daughter would develop JRA like my husband did, and he told me that although there was a chance, it was not a significant chance.  Please someone correct me if I am wrong.  As far as treatment, I do not know where you live, but I STRONGLY suggest a big teaching hospital.  My husband was dx at 7.  He had a whole slew of drs and nurses, and if someone didn't have an answer, someone else did.  That would be my advice.  Hope that this helps you.
Thank-you so much for your insight.  We just came back from a large children's hospital and they were extremely helpful and brought so much knowledge to us which we had no idea.  Hopefully with the meds her severe flareups will subside.
Great advice from kaykay and great insight too.  There are a few parents of young children with JRA posting here.  What meds did they put your grand daughter on?  What symptoms does she have when she is in flare?  
My daughter had juvenile arthritis. it started when she was aprox1-2 years. She finally grew out of it when she was 11-12......sadly she has it again at 17 as she had to have a rubella vaccination top up which we had avoided her getting when she was 12.
looking back we can now see it was just after her first vaccination at 11/2 that the arthritis started. I would advise to keep your grand child away from rubella vaccinations. She has had other vaccinations but it seems that the rubella is the culprit for her arthritis.
I am sorry that your daughters JRA coincided with the rubella vaccine.  I have seen some things on the net indicating that there is a possible link but I would suggest that before anyone forego a vaccination, a doctor should be consulted about the possible risks associated with not getting the vaccination.