Arthritis Community
persistent pain in joints no RF factor

persistent pain in joints no RF factor

About four weeks ago, I had a sudden attack of pain in my joints which was pretty severe (could not walk or move).  Joints affected were neck, knees, shoulders, ankles, wrists and fingers.  Soon after my doctor found that I had a bacterial infection in my throat which was treated with antibiotics.  At about the same time as the attack on the joints, painful mouth sores developed but healed after two to three days.  The doctor sent me for a blood test which showed a CRP of 8.9 and a sedimentation rate of 30.  Both of which the lab said were slightly elevated.

Based on this I was referred to a specialist who said the range was normal.  He did an RF and CRP test, they came back as 10.10 IU/ml and 3.41 mg/L respectively.  The RF range is normal and based on that the doctor said that there was no need for further follow up.  

When I did the test, I had less pain, there was a general ache but no real bad pain.  Could it be that because of that the count was low?  I am now in pain again.  A few days ago, a mouth sore again appeared and this was followed by an increased pain in a variety of joints (bad but not so bad as the first time).

Not sure what to do now, the doctor says I'm not in pain but I am. :)   I am a 39 year old male, fairly fit, and I don't think I have a particularly low pain threshold...
Thank-you for sharing your story. I am a 54 year old woman. I also had mouth sores and sores inside my nose with frequent nose bleeds. I was sent to orthopedic drs., and a  rheumatologist. My liver enzymes are elevated, and my white blood cells count were lower each month, my dr. had been watching them for 3 1/2 years. I told her how long do we intend to watch these? she replied simply by saying I can send you to a hematologist. I also have joint pain unexplained rashes and feel like my bones are literally twisting inside me. There is hope for you I finally demanded something be done and low and behold a rheumatologist diagnosed me with lupus with a lap over of fibromyalgia. I happened to be a the drs. when I had a flare up. Demand to be seen when your pain is the worst you will be amazed what the drs. can find out. I knew I had fibromyalgia back in 2000, but I also knew that it wasn't all just fibromyalgia. Please stick with it and demand to know why, it wasn't till I demanded, that it went from just watching to actually investigating my problem. Sincerely Susan
I agree with Susan. Here is a autoimmune checklist. http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/autoimmune-checklist.htm     I have had the type of pain you are describing off and on for years and in February  it just coincided with my yearly blood work. I have Hashimoto's disease and the symptoms are so obscure I was not even talking to my doctor about them. I thought they were from other things because surely if something were wrong I would have the all the time.  Best of luck to you. Keep trying, find a doc that will listen and stick with it.

@Susan. I have just gotten tested for lupus but I was cleared. Does it only show up when you are flared up? I am also trying to find a new doctor that will work with me because the one that I have had for 14 years says I am fine that I am level so I should have no problems, yeah right. I am still losing my hair, have pain in my joints feel sick everyday and he will not do anything. If lupus can only be detected when it is flared up I will try again as I have signs of it and RA. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sissie