pls help
my doctor diagnosed me with pseudgought? (sorry about the spelling).  he told me that sometimes mimics gout. how is gout related to arthritis and can you give me any other general information to helo me? THANK YOU!
Dear mihael.

We would like to enlighten you about Pseudogout. We could understand your concern.(never mind about spelling!)

Pseudogout refers to the clinically evident acute synovitis with red, tender, and swollen joints that may resemble gouty arthritis (a similar condition with joint deposition of monosodium urate crystals).

Here there is deposit of  calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate,CPPD crystals in the connective tissues and it is called Chondrocalcinosis.

Patients usually present with inflammation of one or more joints often resulting in pain in the affected joint(s). CPPD crystals tend to form within articular tissues. Although, in theory, any joint may be affected, the knees, wrists, and hips are the statistically the most commonly attributed areas.

As with most conditions, chondrocalcinosis can present with similarity to other diseases such as ankylosing spondylitis or gout.

For acute pseudogout, intra-articular corticosteroid injection, systemic corticosteroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or occasionally, high-dose colchicine. NSAIDs are generally administered in low doses to help prevent chondrocalcinosis, however if an acute attack is already occurring, higher doses are administered.

Take care and come back to us with further queries
A related discussion, Tips to people having pain was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.