Arthritis Community
polymyalgia rheumatica

polymyalgia rheumatica

i am 24 years old having severe aches and joint pain especially in the mornings. it radiates pretty much all over hips, knees, upper arms, ect.. about a year ago i woke up one morning i couldn't get out of bed or barely move. no warning or anything.  i had went to a dr about this and he told me i had polymyalgia rheumatica. he gave me 20mg prednisone for about 2 weeks and my symptoms went away until now. i've just started doing research on this disease and i can not find anything about women my age having this. mainly in women 50 and older. i was wondering if anyone could help me if anyone has any information thats not on the internet. it does get better now with prednisone. i'm just curious because i'm so young and can barely get outta bed and get dressed.  
You are very young to have been given this diagnosis.  While there are exceptions to every rule, I think that you should seek another opinion.  Ask for your lab results, too, as they will provide additional information that can be helpful.
I did not mean to post so soon!  I wanted to say that there are other conditions that are similar to PR that might fit a person of your age as well or better.  Is your doctor a rheumatologist?  If not, I think you need to see one as they are the most knowledgeable docs about autoimmune conditions.  
I know how hard it can be to function with one of these conditions until you respond to the meds.  Hang in there!  You are among friends who understand what you are going through.
I have had PR for over 10 years now.  When I was first diagnosed, it said it could last anytime between 4 days and forever.  I guess I am lucky to be the forever type (just kidding, of course).  Add to that spinal stenosis  and chiari1 malformation, and I am just one big mess.  I have the same symptoms as you, which leads me to think you have the right diagnosis, I don't think age is a factor.  We have just learned that my sister who has leukemia also has PR.  Keep you chin up, and rest as much as you can, and don't ever feel guilty about it, you have to do what you have to do to feel reasonable good.