Arthritis Community
popping with pain after tkr

popping with pain after tkr

I had total knee replacement Oct. 27, 2010 and have not been pain free.  It is really starting to depress me.  I have a popping and pulling feeling in my knee that causes excessive pain.  My doctor, who I never get to see, I see a physicans assisstant just put me in a knee brace and told me to take over the counter pain meds.  She said I need to have a bone scan but can't do that until a hot spot on my knee goes away.  I just want this fixed.  I have contacted another doctor for second opinion, but am waiting on my doctors office to send medical records.  Does anybody have the same problem?  I know several people who have had tkr and they haven't had any symptoms like mine.  I am not even 50 yet, but am in pain so much of time can't enjoy life.
Thank you.

Were you put in post-operative physical therapy? If not, demand to be referred right away so you don't lose any more function. Post op PT for knees is imperative and you must stick with it diligently for many months on end or longer, no matter how much it hurts while you're doing it. Otherwise you end up no better or worse off than you were before surgery. I have two points of reference on this - my friend's father who had double knees done and refused to do therapy due to the pain - he ended up barely walking at all. Then my father in law, who stuck with his PT and now is back to playing golf, dancing, travel, etc.  Please don't wait.

Good luck and hang in there!
Yes I had 3 months of PT.  The problems didn't start until after.  Doctor said scar tissue maybe the problem, just having trouble getting anything done.  Everytime I go to discuss, they put me in another brace and a pain prescription.  Just want it fixed. Very frustrated.  Thanks for the advice.
Hi, I had a TKR on 8/31/11 and have popping and grinding issues.  The surgeon just says to give it time, but I'm getting really depressed.  I've made another appt. this afternoon to tell him it hasn't gotten any better and hopefully he'll come up with a solution other than Tamarol.  I have fantastic flexion and the PT has been very successful, but getting up from a low chair is murder.  Hopefully, time will heal but I'm beginning to feel this is it.  Good luck!
I have this same problem and am scheduled for surgery July 9 to remove the scar tissue! My thoughts are , will it not just come back? Mine hurts and sounds like a bowl of rise Krispies when I get up after sitting any time at all you can feel it move! Is yours better and if so what did you do! I have 100% straight and 140 rom so I don't understand any advice would be appreciated !!