Arthritis Expert Forum
post knee surgery swelling.

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

post knee surgery swelling.
I had a total knee replacement 14 months ago. The surgeon severed my popliteal artery, destoying one inch.  Vascular surgeon make emergency repair, but scar tissue formed, completely blocking repair. I had a successful artery bypass with a harvested vein 9 months ago.  I still have swelling, pain and numbness from knee to toes.  I am on maxzide, wear comp. stocking, and exercise according to PT instruction.  Will the swelling ever go away? What can I do?  Ortho says I may have to live with it due to all the trauma to my leg.  Another ortho commented that the prosthesis my be too large. If so, could that retain the swelling? I'd appreciate your comments. Once swelling was so bad it weeped through my skin. I need some relief. Thank you
elevate over your heart

may not go away

changing to a smaller prosthesis is unlikely to change the incompetence of that vessel

i'm sorry but i don't know of a good solution to your problem.  try the vascular surgery forum
Ortho says the vessel trauma is to blame.  Vascular surgeon says artery is functioning well, and swelling is an ortho problem. The game is "Pass the Buck" with my leg as "monkey in the Middle."  Unlucky me.
That really sucks.  Consider getting second opinions from a major university medical center.