Arthritis Community
proper treatment

proper treatment

My 20 yr old daughter was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a year ago, but her problems started when she was 16.  She would be fine for a few months, then have very painful flares and shortness of breath.  We went to numerous specialists, but she just seemed so healthy with her normal blood work and appearance that they all said it was hypermobility causing her hip pain and anxiety causing the shortness of breath.  During these years, she followed doctor's order and breathed shallowly to calm herself when breathing was difficult.  By the time she was diagnosed, we found that she had lost some chest expansion and flexibility in her lower back, but she has no fusing yet.  Her first rheumatologist put her on Mobic, but she had bloody stool. A colonoscopy showed what the doctor called crohn's like changes, but she has never had another recurrence since stopping mobic.In the year since her diagnosis, she has taken up Bikram (hot) yoga and practices deep breathing.  She also gets more tumeric and ginger in her diet and takes fish oil and vitamin D supplements.  She has had one flare  of pain in the past year that lasted for one week and advil was enough to control it.  Other than that, she has been active and pain free.  She does complain of "brain fog" and fatigue, but it's hard to gauge how much of that is due to hating her math classes and partying too late in college and how much is disease activity.  My problem is that one rheumatologist said that she she be on a biologic, another said sulphasalazine and methotrexate, still another said mobic.  Since none of these have been proven to slow progression, she wants to just keep up with the yoga, nutrition and supplements.  I don't want her to not be aggressive with her treatment, but I don't want to take unnecessary risks either.  What would you suggest?  Thank you.
I don't have much in the way of a medical answer, but I didn't want your post getting buried.

I have a 22 yr old, an 18 yr old and a 16 yr old. It's so hard to let them learn how to take care of themselves after all the years we spend mothering them.

Her symptoms could be a combination of both - the late nights "partying" in college and her illness.  The fact that she is taking yoga, supplements and watching her diet shows a high level of responsibility for her age. My oldest has psoriosis (psoriasis) and refuses to change anything, wanting an over night miracle. She'll be 23 in May and eats fast food, wont moisturize, any steps to a healthier lifestyle.

I also believe that natural remedies are best because they have little to no side effects, like most prescribed medication do. B-12 may be an option for the brain fog and fatigue. She should discuss that with her physician though.

Good luck to the two of you!