Arthritis Community
psoriatic arthritis

psoriatic arthritis

I have arthritis in both knees and hands. The doctors say it is not RA , they think maybe psoriatic arthritis since I now have psoriasis of the scalp that was brought on during treatment for hep c (clear) My question is that I have heard of another arthritis associated with autoimmune disorders but they didn't have a name for it. Does anyone else here have psoriatic arthritis and what are your symptoms the doctor told me that it resembles RA and is crippling.
I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I have had it since I was 13 and am now 37. It started with psoriasis. Then in my hands. It used to be horrible and YES dibilitating. I used to take methotrexate, gold, you name it. It is not symmetrical.It could be on a joint on one side but not the other.  Other than that, I don´t know the difference. Then I moved to the caribbean and POOF, remission. I haven´t taken anything in 10 years. Although now I am having problems carrying a baby. I have had 2 miscarriages and the docs think it´s related to the arthritis.
psoriatic arthritis and RA can present in very similar fashions.  You can have symmetrical PsA.  Best site I have found for more info on the various types of PsA is www.spondylitis.org  This site is dedicated to the spondylotharapies, a group of autoimmune diseases.
Just to through another wrench in things, it is also possible to have what they call seronegative (tests come back negative) RA.  
Better yet, in rare cases, you can get both (hi! I'm rare.)
Thanks for your responses.   It only seems to be affecting one side at a time although both knees do bother me but usually not at the same time. Ultrasound of my right wrist shows bone spurs and I do get cortizine injections periodicly to help with the swelling and pain. My doctor wants me to go in for a sleep apnea test .I don't know what that has to do with arthritis but he says that the results will let us know for sure if it is psoriatic or another type. Have either of you heard of this?
I have not heard of a sleep study used as an arthrtis diagnostic tool, but what do I know?  I would google it.