reactive arthritis
hey I'm going through the ringer with symptoms myself, possibly being reactive arthritis, so I've researched it for a while.  In order for your wife to have that disease she'd have to have had either a urinary or digestive tract infection leading up to the symptoms...could have a delay in between by a few weeks...has she?  If yes, then that's probably what she has and the symptoms can last for 3 months up to a year...and you should be very happy that it's a temporary thing.  The fact that she doesn't have lower spine pain definitely rules her out for spondylitis which is a very good thing too...that's what I'm struggling with now.  Good luck to you.
Just an FYI, I was dx with Reactive Arthritis 4 years ago and just started taking Enbrel for it.  In 2 out of 3 people it usually goes away.  Hopefully your wife will be one of the 2, I was not as fortunate.  Best of luck to you.
Go to a Lyme disease doc and get the proper tests for Lyme disease. It can cause RA symptoms, amoung many others.