Arthritis Expert Forum
rheumatoid factor

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

rheumatoid factor

I recently tested positive for the rheumatoid factor. It was "68." Just how elevated is that? How suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis is it? (I have stiffness and some pain, mainly in the morning, but no joint swelling.)
Hello - thanks for your patience.  

The normal range for rheumatoid factor is less than 20 (this is dependent on the laboratory).  The following disorders are associated with an elevated rheumatoid factor:

Rheumatoid arthritis
I'll be away until January 4th - I will answer your question when I return.

Happy holidays,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi!  Last spring my rheumatoid factor was 30, and it was read as high.  I also have a painless hard nodule on my left elbow.  My knees are my main problem.  I often have pain, stiffness and difficulty walking.  I am seeing a rheumatologist on February 5.  I also do NOT have any joint swelling.  How old are you?  I am 27, and have been to 3 neuros and have ruled out any neuro related diseases (because of fatigue and weakness).

I have just got my RF test done and it shows that the Rheum Factor is 20. How severe is that? Have been diagonised with rheumatoid athritis before.

My husband was dianosed with RA (by blood work) about 3 years ago.  He went to a doctor Wednesday night and that doctor believes he does NOT have RA. First of all, my husband hurts in EVERY joint of his body. There is no family history of RA.  Also, the doctor noticed that my husband has clubbing of his fingers and also his toes, which could have something to do with either lung disease or some form of cancer.  Is there any possibility that this could be something other than RA?
I've had those pain/stiffness symptoms just in the mornings on and off.  Seems to vary with weather and then just goes away.  I assumed it was the results of some virus giving me grief but what worked very well for me was to submerge the stiff joints in hot water for one or two minutes and gradually loosen them by flexing the joints.

Stiff hands were the most common and I would fill a sink with water hot as I could stand it and make fist and open slowly about ten times and pain and stiffness would be gone for the day.

Heat is in my opinion not usually good for the body except in rare instances like this.  I always try cold first on problems such as this and see if I can get any result from cold but with the stifness in my hands and shoulders etc. this worked for me maybe it will for you if you try it.

If you try it and the stiffness does not clear up right away like in 2 or 3 mins max it is probably safe to assume you are not suffering from the same thing I had.

I am -not- a doctor.
I too tested high for rheum factor for many years, some pain and stiffness , no swelling, no "classical symptoms" of RA.  LAst year a rheumatologist tested me for hcv, and voila', it was positive.  Many positive hcv sufferers have high factor and RA symptoms.
Just something to follow up.
GL
i was diagnosed with  RA 2 years ago with a rheum factor of 600, is that even possible? it seems way higher than everyone. but i saw the blood work myself and for sure it was 600, my doctor was like " yeah no doubt you have ra". me and my husband are also trying to have another child, what options do we have medicine wise?? or maybe even herbal remedies.??
My rheumatoid factor was just 23 two months ago...and now this week I was tested and it jumped to 109.  My dr. referred me to a rheumatologist...but really, other than rheumatoid arthritis, what else could this likely be?
A related discussion, Rheumatoid factor was started.
A related discussion, Rheumatoid factor 26 was started.
A related discussion, rheumatoid arthritis and crohn's was started.
A related discussion, high rheumatoid factor was started.
A related discussion, ra factor was started.
A related discussion, rheumatoid was started.
A related discussion, rheumatid arthritis was started.
A related discussion, RA was started.
A related discussion, RA level was started.
A related discussion, RA Factor Test was started.
A related discussion, Specificity and Selectivity was started.