Arthritis Community
shots vs infusion

shots vs infusion

I was just diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and am currently only 39 years old.  now need to decide on a medication and have been giving the chose between the infusion and giving myself shots.  My doctors seems to be leaning toward Humira shots.  The idea of giving myself shots for the rest of my life is very overwhelming.  My mother gives herself shots, and wants the infusion, but cannot because she would have to change medicines and her Embrel is working so the Dr. wont switch her.

Does anybody have any insight to which is better.  My first thought was infusion, then shots and now I am thinking of the infusion again.  I just really need some advice from people who have been through it.
Maybe  LDN or low dose naltrexone could help you.  My friend with a serious autoimmune disease says it's great.
This can be a tough decision. I inject both methotrexate and Enbrel once a week; both are virtually painless. Sometimes I don't even feel the needle, it's so small. The upside is, self injecting is much more convenient. You'll get so fast at it that you'll be done in under a minute and get on with your day (or night, if you inject at bedtime). Humira is taken once every two weeks, I believe, though it varies from patient to patient. I've heard that it can sting, but at least it's quick. The pre-mixed form of Enbrel stung me, so I switch to the formula that I mix myself and contains no preservative.

With infusions, you have to make an appointment at an infusion center, wait in the waiting room, and the infusion itself may take several hours. But, you don't have to do it every day, or even every week - you may get a dose every three months. Again it varies by patient and by medication. For me, the idea of being anchored to a chair with a needle in my vein for the better part of a day gives me more heebie jeebies than a quick stick at home. :)

I know it's a bit scary to learn to inject yourself. However a nurse will sit down with you and walk you through it the first time, and give you all the time you need. I bet that within a week or two the jitters will be gone. [[hugs]]
PS - if the sting (or injection site rash) of Enbrel is what's causing your Mom to want to switch, definitely have her ask to be switched to the self-mixed form. There are a few steps to mixing it, but like I said before, once she gets the hang of it, she'll be done in under  5 minutes.