Arthritis Community
sudden thumb pain.

sudden thumb pain.

My doctor says the stabbing pain I get in the base of my thumb on the fleshy palm part is probably osteoarthritis,  This came on quite suddenly several months ago - I had on occasions put my hand out to stop my elderly husband from tripping over.  The joint at the base of the thumb is also quite swollen in a boney sort of way.  I mainly get a short sharp stabbing pain on the fleshy part but on resting the hand it does not hurt that much.  Could this be a ligament problem?

I am 73 and only take Omeprazole and wont take anti inflamatories for that reason

thank you

MillieblackO
Did your doctor take an xray?  Since this coincided with an injury, I would be suspicious of an OA diagnosis.  After you injured it, did you immobilize, rest and ice it?  Is there anything that makes it feel better?  
Thank you for your reply, no I did not take any action - just throught it was a strain.  It hurts mainly when using my hand to hold a jar etc.  Could I have sprained ligaments but if so they are not getting better over time at all.  I have full movement even though it gets painful  but seems fairly ok when at rest.  Maybe its my age which makes healing take longer, as I fracured a cuboin bone in my right foot in July after a heavy fall and the top of the foot is still quite sore at times - though I would say that is slowly getting better but the hand is not really improving in the tense short sharp pain.

thanks again

Millieblack0
I think you should see the doc (or a different doc) again if it is still hurting and no xrays were taken.  Just as we have to be careful about writing things off as arthritis, you have to be careful about writing things off as age.  Try resting or immobilizing your thumb.  When it is hurting, try ice.  You may find you get relief.