Arthritis Community
swollen, numb hands at night. Pain from elbow to hands.

For the last four nights I have woken up with extreme pain going from my elbow to may hands.  My pointer finger and my middle fingers on both hands are so swollen I can barely bend them.  It's worse in my right hand than it is in my left but the pain, numbness, and swelling are happening in both. There is no swelling or anything in the rest of my fingers, just the pointer and the middle finger.  What worries me is that the pain and swelling has gotten worse each night.  The only thing I did differently was that I played volleyball for the first time in a while on Monday night.  I play at a competitive level so im passing balls that are coming at me pretty fast and hitting or "spiking" balls a lot too.  I've played my whole life and this has never happened to me before.  

It seems that no matter what position I sleep in, the pain and swelling and numbing still happens.  The pain wakes me up, and I cannot feel the first two fingers on each hand AT ALL, and again, the swelling has gotten so bad i cannot bend them.  Once i get up in the morning it takes about 20 to 30 minutes of me just shaking, rubbing and hanging my arms at my side for the feeling to come back and the swelling to go down. However, the soreness lasts all day and they're still more swollen than usual. I was trying to clean my dishes yesterday and I couldn't even hold a bowl in my hand. I need to use both hands to turn my keys to start my car in the ignition.  I was talking on my phone and I had to keep switching hands because whichever hand i was holding my phone up with would start to go numb after 5 to 10 minutes of holding it up to my ear.

I was hoping this would just go away, but the fact that it's getting worse is making me nervous.  I don't have insurance so I wanted to get some feedback about this before I go spend a few hundred dollars and walk out with nothing but a prescription and advice to just give it time and it will go away.  If this is something that can be fixed, not just masked then I will go see a doctor.  Until then, your feedback would be appreciated :)
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include nerve impingement/ pressure, inflammations, degenerations, fractures/ dislocations etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or preferably and orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
you also might try sldeping in wrist splints for awhile.  People tend to naturally curl their wrists inward when they sleep--this can put pressure on the nerves.  I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists--but not until after they checked my thyroid, B-12 and did a nderve conduction test.

Numbness in the fingers can come from your wrist, your elbow, your shoulder and your neck.

If i sleep on my left side, my arm will go numb, if i lay on my back and turn my head to the left, two of my fingers will go numb.  Not too long ago, i was playing the piano at church and my fingers started going numb--i had to get someone's attention to take over for me.  i don't think i've ever had that one happen before.
Classic Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, with a possibility of arthritis, too.  I feel for you...am dealing with this as well and do not have the time to take off work to get the needed surgery.  But, going without for too long, can cause permanent nerve damage.  Neuropathic drugs can help...Meloxicam, too.  But ultimately, surgery is needed.  Wearing braces at night helps some, for a while.  I am past that.  Last night, I swear, I wanted to chop my hands off with a meat cleaver!!