A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

thoracic outlet syndrome

Hi.  Diagnosed with RA 6 years ago with Sjogren's .  Severe flare October 2009 with vasculitis in my leg. Seriously the worst pain imaginable. Then 12 months of remission.  November 2010 flare until now.  I have been experiencing, more so over the past few years, intense shoulder pain mostly over the top of the shoulder, also notice that when the shoulder pain is at its worst, tension in the anterior neck, and side of the neck of whichever shoulder is affected.  Additionally, a deep "toothache" type pain just beneath the clavicle.  I have resorted to sleeping in a recliner because lying down either supine or on my side (tummy sleeping out of the question since a neck fracture 10 yrs ago) produces numbness in my arm and hand and then severe throbbing pain. For months I have been blaming it on an elbow locking up, but I think it originates in the shoulder and perhaps further to the neck.  When I finally decided that this is originating in my neck, the thing that came to mind was thoracic outlet syndrome.  The affected hand becomes very cold when I have the pain, it is somewhat relieved when sleeping in recliner.  Any activity or task that requires me to have my arms in front of me aggravates this.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  This has been going on for years, but with increasing frequency over the past few months.  Replies appreciated.