Arthritis Expert Forum
unexplained traveling joint pain/muscle fatigue

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

My very healthy, fit husband has experienced unexplained joint pain and muscle fatigue for about a week.  At first he described the pain like the aches/pains you get along after an extreme workout / or muscle -joint aches felt at the onset of the flu (but he had absolutly no fever or any other symptoms that normally are associated with the Flu).

The pain started in his legs and hips, saying he felt like he ran a "marathon". After this pain intesified over the next36 hours, it eventually "traveled" to the pubic region / testicles and also to the bicepts at the shoulder joint. This was very intense for another 36 hours until it moved / traveled to the full bicepts and then to the forarms and wrists and hands. Now, it is heavily felt in the hands and forarms. He says it feels like he exercised for the first time in 2 years(but he did not), and opening a tight jar would be difficult because of the pain / muscle fatigue felt in his hands.

He has plenty of energy (no fatigue) and a healthy appetite.

He raked leaves yesterday and today feels the muscle fatigue of having exercised vigerously.  This is very unusual for him as he exercises (running & weight training - also enjoys basketball and raquet sports) 5-6 days a week.

Yesterday he said it was difficult for him to open the coffee can (lifting plastic lid off can).

At first we thought maybe this was some odd virus, but now we are wondering if it could be a chronic illness?  Some things that crossed our minds: lyme, rhumatoid arthritis, fibromyalsia (fibromyalgia) -forgive mis-spellings).
Any ideas?
Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.
truly yours,
"sweet helen"
Any of those rheumatologic disorders are certainly possible.  I would also consider polymyositis - where muscle weakness is a prominant finding.  Tests should be done for further evalation.  This can include a blood count, thyroid test, or sedimentation rate (looking for inflammation suggestive of rheuamtologic disease) amongst others.

Regarding polymyositis, muscle enzymes such as creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), aldolase, aspartate aminotransferase (AST), and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) should all be done.  Mysositis-specific antibodies can also be considered as part of the evaluation.

A rheumatologist or neurologist should be consulted for further discussion and evaluation of these symptoms.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
iam no dr but i had the same thing turned out to be hep c
Just wondering if you had any success diagnosing this.  I have almost the exact same muscle and joint achiness and a similar fitness level (run 7 miles/day).  I also described my pain as having just finished a marathon.  In addition I had a 3-4 week period where the tips of my fingers, toes, lips and teeth felt numb (though I had no loss of feeling) ... sort of like when you are out in the cold too long.

I have had brain and spine MRI's, chest xrays and CT scans in addition to a lot of blood tests all revealing nothing other than an elevated Epstein Bar IGG (158 H AU on the first test and 4.83 EIA on test 2), but IGM was negative.  Included in those blood tests were Lyme, Hep C and B12.  

I am waiting for the results of my muscle enzymes.

Will post if I find out anything.
One more thing ... I had an echocardiogram and stress test with nuclear scan (I think that's what it is called).  The nuclear scan/stress test indicated a heart ejection fraction of 40% (a bit below normal) and the echo showed 50% (low end of normal).  My heart rate began at 47 and finished at 165 and I am 42 years old and run 50 miles per week.

Just something you might want to have checked to make sure whatever is causing your problems is not affecting your heart.

I am having a follow up echo in a few days to see if my undiagnosed condition is having additional (postive or negative) affect on my heart.

Dave
Would like to hear how you are all doing

This is one of the things the 'gulf war vets with syndrome' have complained about.

I suspect it is part of the harm of 2-butoxyethanol.

I would suspect that you would have fatigue first before these symptoms, but who knows.

What do you have on this list?
http://www.valdezlink.com/pages/whattolookfor.htm
PS

Could it be one of these autoimmune things going on?
http://home.gci.net/~blessing/pages/autoimmune.htm

Can you check with an immunologist on how ... not just to suppress the overactive immune system, but how to redirect it towards the bacteria it's suppose to be fighting, instead of YOU?

http://home.gci.net/~blessing/pages/bacteriainblood.htm

Seeking HELP!
http://home.gci.net/~blessing/pages/seekinghelp.htm
I have now had an unexplained low grade fever for the last 7 days.  My blood work on thursday showed a very low WBC count, my blood work on Wednesday showed a better WBC, but high Neutrophils.  I am having really bad muscle pain and fatigue.  For a few days, it felt like I was being popped with a rubber band in all of my muscles.  Today I am sore and achy...like I have run a marathon.  Does any one have any ideas?

Cindy
A related discussion, traveling pain was started.
A related discussion, unexplained joint and muscle pain was started.