Arthritis Community
what is polyarthritis

what is polyarthritis

what is polyarthritis and can it effect the chest wall esp the left side and what are the treatments available for this ,i have a lot of left sided chest wall pain non cardiac related and i cant take anti-inflammorties any info would be greatly accepted

thank you
Hello and welcome to the Arthritis Forum!
Polyarthritis just means arthritis involving 5 or more joints. It is usually caused by an autoimmune disorder, such as Rhuematoid Arthritis and Lupus.
Can you give us a little more info? You don't say specifically what you are feeling, so it's really hard to say what you're dealing with. Are you having breathing difficulties? Is it pain or pressure?
I can't even point you in a direction for relief not knowing more. Let me know a bit of info, and I'll do my best to give you some guidance!
hi
thanks for answering
i feel a lot of pain and some pressure in the upper left side of my chest mainly around the ribs and into the shoulder joint and sometimes under my armpit ,it can sometime but not always be on the right side as well and go into my wrists.i do have anti-bodies to the thyroid but the levels are ok for now and have them checked fairly regularely.i dont have any breathing probs with these but the pain can be sometimes sharp which i may catch a breath .i did have quite a few heart tests just in case and apart from a few etopics that most seem to get everything checked out ok ,so i was told it could be polyarthritis and sent on my way ,somedays it is ok and others i could be just simply getting dressed or driving and the whole area flares up ,i also seem to get a heat rash that does not last very long when these eposides happen ...i have had bloods for inflammation that were ok ,but was not suffering symptoms at the time ,,
i have tried heat pads ,cold presses,resting the areas ,light exercise ,swimming ,but it still pervails ...i am under no form of serious stress ,and have an excellant diet ,not overweight ..bmi is 22.5 ,,,,bp is 115/75 did have 2 ac1 tests for blood sugar both came back at 4.5 mmol/l.
i am not sure what else to write so if there is something else needed i suppose just ask

thanks again
You mentioned thyroid antibodies. What all have the tested for your thyroid? They should be checking not just TSH, but Free T3 & T4. Many with autoimmune thyroid issues have normal TSH and are very symptomatic.

In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, a diagnosis of polyarthritis doesn't make sense. Like I mentioned above, poly means affecting 5 or more joints and you say it's only one area. Was this an emergency room diagnosis? If that's the case, I would follow up with your primary doctor. He may consider referring you to a rheumatologist who would also run labs & tests to look for various arthritis and/or autoimmune conditions.

Another possibility could be intercostal spasms. These are the muscles around the ribs. Both my mother and I get them. The first 2x mom got them, she went to the ER thinking it was a heart attack. We both have hyperflexion of the neck and it's believed that is the cause.

A good rheumatologist will look for an answer for you. Please update and keep us posted.
D.