Arthritis Community
x-ray question

x-ray question

I had x-rays due to periodic pain in my rt. hip and lower leg.  The results(impression)of the hip/pelvis x-ray are: {{Mild degenerative arthritic changes of the SI joints and pubic symphysis.  Tiny benign appearing cyst of the left inferior pubic ramus.  Radiographically normal bilateral hips.}}  The "benign appearing cyst" concerns me.  When my primary care physician's office called with the results of the x-rays, no mention was made of the cyst.  The way I found out about it was that I asked them to send me copies of the x-ray reports. What are "SI joints"?  What is "pubic symphysis"?  What does a "tiny benign appearing cyst of the lift inferior pubic ramus" mean in lay terms? (the x-ray for the lumbar spine showed slight scoliosis, but I am not concerned about that.)  Thank you so much for any explanations!
I'll do my best to help.  The SI joints are located where your spine meets your hip bones.  If you think of your hip bones as the wings of a butterfly and the spine as the butterfly's body, they are where the wings meet the body.  The pubic symphysis is a cartilage joint that is right above the vulva (female) or penis (male).  If we go back to thinking of the whole picture as a butterfly, the left inferior ramus would be the very bottom of the left lower wing, along the line coming back towards the body.
Regarding the cyst and the xrays, I would call your doctors office and schedule an appt just to go over the results, what they mean and review next steps.  Sometimes we fall through the cracks and have to set our own follow-ups to maintain momentum in the diagnosis process.
Thanks for the quick response!  Your explanation gives me a better picture of how I'm put together in that area.  Your comparison to a butterfly was easy to understand.