Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Bartholin's Cyst

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Bartholin's Cyst

I have had a bartholyn's cyst for since Jan 2008. Last couple months it gets these "heads" on it. When I put a little pressure on these "heads" white "pus" comes out. Yesterday I noticed a head that was unusually painful when it was touched or bumped. It kept getting little bigger, probably the size of 1/2 a marble. I took a bath this morning with epsom salts. In the bath water, I put a little pressure on this "head" ....it burst and lots of  'stuff' came out. I guess my question is this. Is the bartholyn's cyst trying to burst? or what are these 'heads' that i am seeing?
Hi and thank for using the forum.

Bartholin cysts occur when the openings of the bartholin glands (located at the opening of the vagina) become obstructed causing a back up of fluid.  These cysts can become infected and pus filled.  Bartholin cysts are common and usually painless.  They usually don't require much treatment.  

What you have described sounds like the Bartholin cyst that you have might be infected.  Warm sitz baths can help the pus to drain and to keep the area clean.  If you develop a fever, or severe pain, then you should see your doctor about this.  

Good luck.

Bridget
I guess my questions is is it alright to pop those 'heads'? or should they be left alone? If I leave it alone, what is the next thing that happens? If I pop them, will more pus come out? When you say sitz bath, what do you mean? Just sit in a tub filled with hot water and epsom salts?  Thanks for your help!
Hi Bridget, Couple more questions. :)  Is it normal for the bartholin's cyst to 'hang'? It is about the size of 2 'eggs' put together and it hangs. When I go to the bathroom it hangs so far that it touches the water. The 'heads' that I described before appear anywhere on this 'hanging' cyst. I just want to know if that's normal or what.  :)

Also, I have heard to drink alot of water. Why? What does it do? and how much is alot of water?

What is your recommendation on keeping the area clean. Everytime I go to the bathroom, naturally #1 gets all over it. or even #2. While I am at work, I just dry it off with tp, but should I be washing it off with a washcloth everytime I use the bathroom? and if yes, would just plain water work?

I can't believe I have had this thing for over 2 years now. Unfortunately, it had a major part in causing a short-lived marriage, cuz he couldn't deal with it (but I am much happier now...) But now I am very reluctant in getting involved with a man... I am 28-years old...and not much of a life. How do other people deal with this?

Thanks alot for your input?

There are some surgical options to deal with these cysts.  Especially since this affects your personal life.  A cyst the size that you have described would definitely be considered bothersome, so I think you should see your GYN about this.  They can drain the cyst and once the infection (if there is one) is cleared up they can actually stitch open the cyst to prevent it from coming back.  IF this doesn't work then it is possible to remove the Bartholin gland (however, I think this is rarely necessary).  

Sitz bath is just a bath with warm water.  As far as keeping the area clean, a wet cloth would work fine.  YOu don't want to use anything harsh or soapy because it can just make that already sensitive area more sensitive.  Another option would be to keep a squirt bottle handy and just rinse the perineal area with plain water after using the bathroom and drying with some toilet paper.  

Good Luck,

Bridget
Thanks alot for your input!!!