Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Black Period for about a week

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Black Period for about a week
Im 18 years old and Im not sexually active or anything. I had a question regarding my period. It was due around June 19th but so far nothings happened. A week before it was due I discharged black "blood" and Ive read that that is just old blood coming out. However that usually lasts about a day or two mine lasted for about 5 days. Is this normal? And over the past few months my periods been normal and happening on time. I dont have any stress and my diets the same. The only thing that has changed is that I started working as a cashier but thats not stressfull at all. Im stress free. So if you could answer my question it would be great :)
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is not unusual to have an "off" period every now and than, so I would not be too concerned yet.  You are right that the dark blood is usually "old" blood.  Wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.  If your period is off again next month, you may want to see your Ob/gyn to be sure that everything is OK.   Good luck.

Bridget
Ok I meant July 19 lol and its been pretty hot lately
Hi, I'm not a nure or a doc or anything. I have that problem too sometimes, but i seemed to go away. I switched my pad and tampon products around and it seemed to do the trick for me. Sorry if it's not too helpful.