Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Bleeding after endometrial ablation

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Bleeding after endometrial ablation

I had an ablation done 17 days ago. Before the ablation i was bleeding VERY heavy for a few days a month. Now, post op, I have had to go to the dr twice for a uti and another infection causing severe pain. she didnt tell me what kind of infection she thought it was, but gave me a heafty dose of antibiotics. I'm still bleeding, still bright red, with occasional brownish coloring. It will stop for a few hours, then come back. The dr told me i would only bleed for 7-10 days post op, so i'm getting a little frustrated that it's now 17 days and it's just as bad as the day of surgery. Still cramping, always tired, no energy. I work in retail. I can't just stop working, but my boss is nice enough to limit my lifting. althoug there are only 4 of us that work in the store and 2 of them are pregnant so the lifting is on me most of the time. I was not told how long to wait to have sex, although I'm not the one that is concerned with that. i do not enjoy sex while bleeding and cramping. i had this procedure to stop the bleeding. i'm starting to get very sad/depressed with the whole thing. i dont feel like myself. recovery is taking forever. I feel like it would have been a lot easier to just deal with the heavy periods once a month than to bleed constantly, especially since i can't wear tampons. i feel disgusting. How long is it normal to bleed for?
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Have you spoken with your OB/gyn again?  I can understand being frustrated, so I think you should call your doctor and discuss this with him/her.  Usually, the bleeding stops within a week or so, but everyone is different.  Talk with your doctor again about your concerns and your symptoms.  If you are unhappy with your doctors response, there is no harm in getting a second opinion on this.  Good luck.

Bridget
Thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon for a post op check up.