Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Blood In stool

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Blood In stool

I'm a 20 year old female with no major health issues.
But for the past 2 days when ever i have a bowel movement, i find when i wipe that their is a noticeable amount of bright red blood (at first i thought i started my period). I have no pain or cramps, but the blood still worries me.  
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The most likely cause for the bleeding that you have described would be a hemorrhoids.  Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins that occur in your rectum.  They are usually caused by straining with bowel movements and can be painful or painless.  Since this has never happened to your before, I recommend that you see a doctor.  While the most likely cause of this bleeding is hemorrhoids, there are a lot of other possible causes for rectal bleeding and they should be ruled out.  IF this is caused by hemorrhoids, there are a lot of over the counter and home remedies that can relieve them.  Good luck.

Bridget