Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Burst arm vein?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Burst arm vein?

HI,
I was donating plasma today, and while flexing and squeezing my hand to allow then to find the vein,
I had a HUGE pain in the middle of my forearm It felt like a bee sting It felt like a vein had burst or something.
It still feels tender and wierd two hours later.

Is it possible to burst a vein from pumping my arm with a pressure cuff on?
If so is it dangerous?  or will it heal on it's own
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is possible that you had an injury to a blood vessel or an injury to a muscle or tendon.  This should improve with time.  Ice the injury for the first 48-72 hours after the incident and after 72 hours use warm compresses.  If you don't see an improvement after about a week, you might want to have it checked out just to be sure that nothing is wrong.  Good luck.

Bridget