Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Can neck pain cause Dizziness????

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Can neck pain cause Dizziness????

I have had some neck pain for about a year now and I have also has some dizziness every few months when I bend my head down or sideways sometimes. I also have recently have had some werid dizziness while sleeeping. It almost feels like my body  is moving and then when I open my eyes everyhting is fine....then sometimes when i bend my neck over and close my eyes it feels like my body is ,moving again. the dizzines happens when I bend my neck over and hold it there for a while then it will get sort of dizzy?? the dizziness isnt everyday or even every week...it happens every few months and it happens everytime i move my neck in a direction. i have been to a balance speicaliist and he told me I don't have an inner ear problem and I took a hearing test and that was fine too. so they don't think it is an inner ear problem...soo could it be from a bad neck...last year I went to physical therapy and they told me I had c4 and c5 neck were out of alignment. soo maybe that could be the cause?? does anyone know what it means to have dizziness when sleeping and then open ur eyes and everyhting is fine??? please someone help me...doctors nurses anyone please help!!!!!!!
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Dizzyness is a very common complaint and can have various causes.
What you have described could be BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo).   BPPV is characterized by a dizzyness that is precipitated by a change in head position.  There are a few treatments for this, including specific head maneuvers that can help relieve the symptoms.  I would suggest that you see your doctor or a neurologist with this issue (especially since you are having some neck pain as well).  He or she can examine you, get a good history from you and also they can ask you specific questions about your symptoms to help establish a diagnosis.  Good luck.

Bridget

Bridget
You need a chiropractic adjustment. (But since you have pain, have him x-ray you first.) I was suffering dizziness when I lay down, and my doctor (an MD who also studied chiropracty) adjusted my head. (I didn't know a head could be adjusted.) End of problem.  
so you think it could be that...it is such a weird dizziness like when I close my eyes I feel slightly dizzy and when I open them I am totally fine... its very weird.
could you please take a look at my post
Yes, it could be that, but check with your doctor or a chiropractor.