Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Cat allergy or not?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Cat allergy or not?

When I turned 17 I got a major outbreak of atopic dermatitis all over my face, and in the creases of my arms. Anything seemed to make it worse, being outside at summer, same room as a cat/dog/anything with fur, water, detergents, etc. I had atopic dermatitis as a child, but it went away until I I was 17. Around age 20 it calmed down a lot, I am now 22 and I get occassional red patches that quickly go away. Mostly due to detergents or sweat, which i try to avoid. I now have a kitten, and I don't react to it at all. I also seem to be able to lie down in the grass again without breaking out in huge pusfilled rashes all over my face and arms.

Could it be that my original dermatitis at around age 17-20 was caused by over sensitivity to detergents, and by the time I figured all of this out and got my skin nice and balanced I don't react adversely to grass or animals anymore? I've only dared to touch the kitten we have now, but I seem to not react at all, even if I cuddle it with my face.

I still react to detergents and fragrance and things like that, but I was thinking maybe my contact dermatitis to animals was just caused by the fact that my skin was so broken at that time.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

What you have described sounds possible- you were already reacting to the soaps/detergents and it is possible that it made you sensitive to everything.  I would recommend that you be careful not to trigger a reaction by rubbing the kitten to your face.  The best thing for you to do would be to see an allergist for allergy testing.  This way you would know for sure what you are allergic to.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bridget