Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Dry itchy peeling rash on face, chest and upper back

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

a week ago i found one or two dime sized patches of extremely dry and itchy skin on my forehead. within a couple days it started to peel and spread across my forehead and along the hairline by my ears. now i have a similar rash on my chest and upper back/shoulders/neck. i cant find anything online that sounds or looks like it. i haven't done anything differently other than use a hairspray i just bought that i hadn't used in a couple years. i may be allergic to cats, of which i have two, but i've never had anything worse than stuffy nose and watery eyes. i think it might be bacterial, because these are the areas i focus on when i use a loofah (i threw out just in case).
any idea if this is something that will go away on its own or if i need medication?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is very difficult to give an opinion about rashes- especially since I can't see it.  However, if it seems like it has spread, then you need to see a doctor about it.  It is possible that you would need medication for it (some rashes are bacterial or fungal in nature).  I would see a dermatologist if possible or your own regular doctor.  Good luck.

Bridget