Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
FLU SHOT

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

FLU SHOT

MY 5yr old daughter was given the flu shot two weeks ago last week she had routine blood work up and they said her white blood count was really high .My Question is could the flu shot cause this? She has no fever and they coulden't find any obviouse infection in her urine or throat ears ,All other tests were normal .There going to re test her WBC next week but I'm worried sick until then .She has been a little tired this week but other than that seems ok.Any response to help me here would be apreciated
                                                     ty
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Sorry it took me some time to answer your post- I wanted to research this before I posted back to you.  From what I can find, it is possible that the flu shot can cause a slight elevation in WBC count- this makes sense since the vaccination works to trigger the formation of antibodies against the flu.  However, the flu shot uses dead flu viruses, so a "really high" count would be unusual.  You don't say what the actual count is (you may not know) but I think that since your daughter has no symptoms and no obvious signs of infection, the best thing to do would be to repeat the blood work (which is what you are doing).  If the count remains high, then they will have to look for a source of infection.  If the count improves, it could be related to the flu shot, or it could be that she was fighting off something.  At any rate, and I know this is easier said then done, I would try not to worry too much about this yet and wait and see what the repeat blood work shows.  OF course, if she develops a fever or starts acting sick, then I would bring her back to the doctor before then.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bridget