Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Gabapentin side effect or allergy?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Gabapentin side effect or allergy?

I was just prescribed Gabapentin 300mg before bedtime due to having severe pain from my permanently damaged spinal cord.  

I took 100mg of Gabapentin last night before bed for the first time.  I woke up at 1am  with hot flashes.  When I got up at 3am for the day I noticed I have a sunburn rash on my cheek bones.  My face feels really hot.  Is this a side effect from the medicine or an allergy?  It's 1pm and I still have the sunburn rash, the whole right side of my face is red.

Thank you,
RunningMom
Hi, thanks for using the forum.  I will do my best to answer your question with the information you have given me.

This question would probably  be better answered by your doctor or a pharmacist, but I looked up Gabapentin (Neurontin) in my drug reference book and I didn't find any side effect listed that matched your symptoms.  That being said, all drugs have side effects and the drug reference books can't list every possible one.

If I were you, I would contact my prescribing doctor and let him/her know about this.  They can then advise you as to what they think you should do.  Good Luck.

Bridget  
I meant to say, the redness covers much more on the right side.  
Thank you for your reply.  I held off taking the medication last night and I will make a call into the office to ask them about this.  I'm very sensitive to medications and I get this same reaction to steroid injections.  I'm unsure if it is an allergy or a side effect.
Yeah, it is kind of a gray area since a rash can be a side effect or a symptom of an allergy.  Since this is a new med for you, I think you are right to speak with the doctor.  Hope all goes well.

Bridget