Gabapentin side effect or allergy?
I was just prescribed Gabapentin 300mg before bedtime due to having severe pain from my permanently damaged spinal cord.  

I took 100mg of Gabapentin last night before bed for the first time.  I woke up at 1am  with hot flashes.  When I got up at 3am for the day I noticed I have a sunburn rash on my cheek bones.  My face feels really hot.  Is this a side effect from the medicine or an allergy?  It's 1pm and I still have the sunburn rash, the whole right side of my face is red.

Thank you,
RunningMom
Hi, thanks for using the forum.  I will do my best to answer your question with the information you have given me.

This question would probably  be better answered by your doctor or a pharmacist, but I looked up Gabapentin (Neurontin) in my drug reference book and I didn't find any side effect listed that matched your symptoms.  That being said, all drugs have side effects and the drug reference books can't list every possible one.

If I were you, I would contact my prescribing doctor and let him/her know about this.  They can then advise you as to what they think you should do.  Good Luck.

Bridget  
I meant to say, the redness covers much more on the right side.  
Thank you for your reply.  I held off taking the medication last night and I will make a call into the office to ask them about this.  I'm very sensitive to medications and I get this same reaction to steroid injections.  I'm unsure if it is an allergy or a side effect.
Yeah, it is kind of a gray area since a rash can be a side effect or a symptom of an allergy.  Since this is a new med for you, I think you are right to speak with the doctor.  Hope all goes well.

Bridget
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.