Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
I am just a little confused/worried ..
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I am just a little confused/worried ..

Hello.

For about a year now, I frequently get lumps/spots/or something on my genital area; none have appeared on my genitals, only the surrounding area. Some don't hurt at all, however some are sore and eventually pop, releasing puss (once a little blood). The things last for about 4-6 days, then normally just shrivel a bit and the skin goes a little dry. I never get more than one at a time and probably once a month. Like I said they go away by themselves, but a few have left small scars. The marks have made me nervous to enter into any sexual relationship, as they have made me very self-conscious. I've never had sex, and I've had no sexual contact. I don't see how it could be any sort of STI as I haven't had skin contact in a sexual way or come in contact with sexual bodily fluids. I haven't had any medical advice yet, but the last lump I had, popped about 3 days after I first realised it's appearance. It released a thin watery fluid, yellowish in colour, and now it seems to have a formed a pothole in my skin, maybe 1 cm across. It is less painful now after popping than when it was still a raised, boil type, lump however it's still a little tender when touched. To clean the area, should I use anything antiseptic? The popped lump is not on my genitals, about 2.5 cm to the right on my perineum.
I've researched what they could be, genital cysts or infected hair follicles, the list goes on. So I just wanted someone else's opinion on what the possibilities could be. If you can not help I think I will seek medical help from my doctor, however the idea of explaining the above to a person, face to face, simply mortifies me.
I really hope you can give me an insight to what I have, and I hope it is easily treatable. I would also really appreciate some advice about cleaning the area, or bring the discharge to the surface; should I use a hot wash cloth?

Please give me as much information as possible, I just need to understand what to do ....